An odd one

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by NGIB, Aug 24, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A fella on a local GA gun swap forum is trying hard to unload this one. It's a Wyoming Arms long slide that he's calling a 1911. I did some Googling and the reports aren't good. Interesting gun though...

Attached Files:

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

It is unique, but not very attractive.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If I remember correctly, they were advertised as a close relative to the 1911. Inexpensive, stainless steel, long barrel, etc... I think they were geared to javalina hunting.
    But like other "close relatives", that one should have stayed in the closet.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This fella is "advertising" this as a 1911 and I (and a few others) clarified the fact that it isn't. It does look like something Robo should be packing though...

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Maybe it's just the grips, but that thing looks a lot like a monster sized ugly cousin of the Ruger P-series.

There was a local school shooting some years back with Wyoming Arms 10mm. If not for that I probably wouldn't even recognize the name.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It looks as hi-tech as the laser sight option. [​IMG]

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Kinda' looks like an Automag to me.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Wyoming Arms was a TRAIN WRECK of a gunshop/manufacturing house or whatever the hell they were. They went under after just a couple of years in business.

I believe what you have there is a picture of their PARKER version, which does have the stainless steel slide, but it's like a cast or pot metal like frame. No grip safety and the normally frame mounted safety is mounted on the slide ( always a huge mistake in my opinion ).

I have seen only one in my lifetime, but it was enough to make me want to stay WELL away from them. The slide to frame finish had a hole big enough to drive a truck through ( practically ) and it could ahve doubled as one of Cane's pets warning system. :eek: Trigger felt like stepping on a dog turd in bare feet, and that was when it was primed and ready to go AFTER a good shop cleaning and lubing.

Whatever he wants for it, it's too damn much in my little opinon.

RUN!!

JD

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I spent about 5 minutes on Google when I saw it and your synopsis is 100%.

This fella was posting this as trade bait on every handgun thread. I reported some of the posts as I felt he was misrepresenting this "thing" as a 1911.

I still think Robo would look good carrying it though...:D

10. jackg

jackg New Member

The end of the box says it's a 7" barrel, not sure I could hold that steady enough to pick up the target.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am pretty sure they made a 10mm. Perhaps we can sneak into his house and switch out his carry piece. :p

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I think that box was marked 10mm.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It is, but then .40 cal is written in below it.

The one we saw was standard .45 ACP and the gun tag said "Won't hit sand" - presumably if he threw it off the top of his Jeep. :D

That handle is really weird too. It's really thick/wide at the top, but really narrow/thin at the bottom, feels like trying to shoot a large ice cream cone.

14. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I can't believe you guys, that thing was made out of the parts that were left over after AMT bit the dust, I reckon...
    Actually I would gladly give $300 for it, they are quite collectible out here in Arizony

15. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

I've handled one just like it, if you get a good one they work fine but that's only 50% of them. The internals were pretty much unfinished, none of the small parts were even deburred.

I believe the story goes; Wyoming Arms bit the dust and LaserAim bought all of their patents and machinery. LaserAim was a much more well finished firearm, almost a custom gun on the cheap, I owned one a short while back and it was as accurate as any .45 I've ever owned. But LaserAim went under as well, their prices were too high and the lasers of the eighty's only lasted about ten minutes because of poor battery life.

And then good ole AMT bought all of the Wyoming Arms/LaserAim stuff and started thier infamous reign on the handgun world. I've owned a couple of those as well. :eek:

Here's my old LaserAim, It went bang everytime but i don't miss it much. :D Notice the front rail, way before it's time.

[​IMG]

16. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Thank You for putting that in the right order,
    I have been a fan of AMT guns for many years, although I don't try to collect them very much...

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My first thought was AMT crossed with Double Eagle (sans the D/A feature).

JD, I really don't think sneaking into my place would be a good idea. And, am pretty fond of my 1006. About the only thing you could switch it out with is an STI Perfect 10.