An interesting Mosin

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Mercator, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

An interesting Mosin, with RANGE PICS

This is a Sako, dated 1944 (the year Finland lost the war). Please note the curved bolt handle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Mercator,

Very nice! Do you know if the bolt was done by the military or someone after the fact. Where did you find this jewel. The rifle looks fantastic! And what a great bore!

3. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

That's a beautiful old rifle, but the bolt looks recently changed. I am going by you pictures now, but the weld looks new. Are there any holes in the receiver to mount a scope?

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Thank you guys. Bought at a gun show, just out of the blue. The bore was muddy until I cleaned it. The bolt looks its age. They did make some sniper rifles, but I am trying not to hold my breath. The octagonal receiver looks machined. There is a left side scope mount, two screws, may be an add-on.

P.S. It's in the truck packed up. I'll take a better picture of the weld, and also the scope mount.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  5. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

That bolt is most likely an ATI bolt mod done recently from what I can tell, the bolt handle is a lot shinier than the rest of the bolt and the area where the bolt and bolt handle meet looks like a recent job. But it's a beautiful rifle! A very nice Finn!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a good looking old rifle, but that bolt was done by a civilian..............

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

This is what I posted this morning:
    Now, after taking a closer look. The bolt handle has a SN matching the receiver and the magazine. These (somewhat) better pictures show the metal to be more uniform. There is a little symbol on the receiver, just above the Sako gear wheel. It does not look like a 2 (means second grade), but what it is I don't know yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

One at a time from iphone...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Last one...

Attached Files:

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice find. I haven't seen any around my area in awhile.

11. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

That is such a nice rifle!!! I love my mosin

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Got a low profile AK side mounted scope base. The bent bolt handle came handy, a small cutaway in the base was enough. The scope is Burris Fullfield 3-9x.

Attached Files:

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Fired @200 yards at a steel target (head about 6") from a sandbag.

Attached Files:

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Fired 10, missed 1 entirely, the rest are on steel.

Planning two improvements: a desperately needed cheek rest, and upscale ammo (this was Russian bulk mil surp)

Edit: on the pic looks more like 8 hits. Can't be positive but anyway it's work in progress.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014