An interesting little tidbit of info

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by GeneralPatton, Feb 28, 2013.

1. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Now I don't usually believe everything I read on Wikipedia given any moron can edit it, but when I read this I found it to be at a minimum strange, but downright amusing either way. The following exert is copied and pasted directly from the Wikipedia page on the Winchester 1897 12 gauge shotgun;
    I don't think I'll ever understand why anyone would think that anyone else wouldn't use the most devastating weapons available in a war.

As a matter of a fact, good ole General Patton himself said, and I quote;

"To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

It's war, not a friendly game of chess :eek:

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I remember hearing that we were accused of war crimes from use of the Ithaca M37 in WWII. The troops were instructed to jump out of the trench, and slam fire the entire magazine into whoever was attacking. I'm gonna see if I can dig up the article, or a video link.

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Read the Geneva Convention's rules for warfare. Really absurd if you think about it. That is why rifle ammunition is fully metal jacketed instead of hollow point. But, it didn't address gas, so the Germans had no qualms about mustard gas. And it didn't address firebombing, and it didn't address nuclear weapons either, so the US was in the clear too. It did have some good language on treatment of POWs, but of course Japan was not a signatory.

4. ss33204

ss33204 New Member

Didn't the nazi ss use flamethrowers? Wouldn't that be a little worse than a shotgun?

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We used flame throwers quite effectively.

6. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Quite frankly if I'm the foot soldier, I don't give a dam what any document says. The other side is shooting at me, and I'm shooting at them. I don't really give a **** what I'm shooting, from a slingshot to a howitzer.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Wrong war. The Waffen SS was WWII.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just to split a couple of hairs- There are SEVERAL "Geneva Conventions". And Geneva Accords. And the Hague Convention, They regulated different things, and were amended as times changed.

They are a lawyers nightmare. Really.

And some of them were NOT ratified by the US, Some were AFFIRMED with reservations. "We won't unless they do, in which case we will."

Chem and bio? Yeah, we signed it. in 1977.

9. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep. Pretty much sums it up as far as my feelings on it. If the other guy doesn't want to play by the rules, why should I? I don't give a rat's azz what I am carrying, I will use whatever means are at my disposal to return fire. If the other guy wants to b!tch about it, Ill offer him a nice cup of get over it.