An Interesting Encounter........

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TheDesertFox, Aug 18, 2013.

1. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

The other day I took my dad's truck down the road to go plinking with one of our 10/22s(I live in the boonies, so no gun range for me :)). Well, I arrive at the place I plan on shooting at, set up some coke cans, and start loading my mag. All of a sudden I turn around and about 40-50ft from me is a huge black bear standing on it's hind legs. Now, seeing as how I live in NE Louisiana in the country, this wasn't a very shocking event, but it certainly got my attention. Well, it turned around and saw me and started to walk towards me, so I got the .22 and fired off a mag into the nearby woods, which made it run off into a nearby corn field. I then proceeded to pack my things and drive home. While black bears are no grizzly, it was just a bit too close for comfort (better safe than sorry i suppose). I later drove by the corn field with my dad to try and see it again, but we did not. Has anyone else had any close encounters while shooting, hunting, hiking, etc?

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I think I'd start taking a bigger bore gun with me on 'range trips':eek:

3. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Lol I think I will.

4. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

Step 1 for me would have probably been sh**ting of the pants. You know, so the smell would drive it away. :) the only animal encounter I've had while shooting was one time when a deer walked in to the range while I was setting a scope. I had just finished dialing it in and had stopped to eat some lunch before plinking away the rest of a box of 308's when I look up to see a doe just passed the 200 yard target line grazing. String as how I'm a responsible hunter and it was mid July I decided to ask it to leave the range before anyone else got trigger happy. The first round impacted the ground about 8 inches in front of it's nose. The doe flinched, then just stood there looking towards my direction for a few minutes before going back to eating. So the next shot went about 2 inches from its nose on the ground. I guess it got the point after that cuz it shot out like a bolt of lightning.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

We had a hunter up in the Snowy Range many years ago. He staggered into camp scared and breathless. He reported a surprise attack by a massive Black Bear. He said he shot the beast and escaped. We saddled a pack horse to remove the trophy. Up on arrival at he site we found the bear. It was a small critter about the size of a Labrador Retriever. Funny how a surprise creates a monster.;)

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i once had Sasquatch walk up on me in the woods one day when i was out walking my dogs. we sat down and had some Jack Links beef jerky and had a nice visit. we parted ways after a while and when the beef jerky was gone and i haven't seen him since. i really thought he'd be a bigger feller than he was though!:p

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

hey, Axxe, have you discussed this with Txpossum?

His next hunting trip is to try and locate Bigfoot...

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

no hunting Bigfoot!:mad:

he smells quite bad, but he's a nice critter and just wants to be left alone and to eat beef jerky!:p

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Axx I never knew they ate Jerky? Back in the old days they lived out in the country all alone. They really lived a pretty boring life. As you know in recent years most of them can be found in Walmart Super Centers late at night shopping. Yep! they are the ones with big butts big hair wearing stretch pants and riding those electric carts. :D

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

:eek: I saw one a few hours ago

11. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

No but had a close in counter with a nest of yellow jackets this afternoon. They even took possession of my riding mower.:D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  12. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Albuquerque on the east side of interstate 25 near the Sandia mountains has been getting black bears in their area.

These are the ones that made the news.

Bear wanders near northeast Albuquerque schools
    http://neheights.kob.com/news/news/254641-bear-wanders-near-northeast-albuquerque-schools

Bear trap sabotaged in Sandia Heights
    http://neheights.kob.com/news/news/252161-bear-trap-sabotaged-sandia-heights

Bear cub and mom rescued from tree in NE Heights
    http://neheights.kob.com/news/news/244221-bear-cub-and-mom-rescued-tree-ne-heights

3 darts needed to take down bear in NE ABQ
    http://neheights.kob.com/news/news/243471-3-darts-needed-take-down-bear-ne-abq

13. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Even though I've done a lot of hunting in bear country, I have been lucky concerning bears,,, coons have always seemed to be my biggest pest in the woods. I honestly believe if they wanted,, they could get into the Fort Knox vault,,, coons or 5 year old kids can get into damn near anything. I've hung coolers of food between trees to keep a camp free of food smells,, no bears, but coons somehow got into them. I had to bust a rabid coon out catfishing one evening,, apparently Mr. Raccoon just likes to aggravate me,, oh well.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Was shooting at my parent's house quite a while back (before I got my 1911, because I was still shooting my Smith, so at least more than a year and a half). This was when I was shooting those reloads some of you may remember me speaking of (HOT reloads. I shot 6 and gave the rest back to the guy who gave them to me. They'd been loaded for use in a rifle).

Good sized doe walked right up in front of the target, stopped, and stared at me. Well... I had no intention of shooting it. But because those hot reloads had shot my tensioner screw loose, I wouldn't have been able to anyway.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo, why didn't you empty the mag into its face again? I suppose that next time you witness a mugging you might call the weather service?

:confused:

16. kaido

kaido New Member

I think the only "scarey" encounter was when I bought my girlfriend a telescope. We drove out into the country side to set it up since it was only a five or ten minute drive.

After a couple minutes we heard a few coyotes howling at a distance. It seemed like each howl they were a little closer, so we called it quits. On the drive back we seem three that looked like they where heading to the spot we left......decided I'm going to carry a rifle with me when we go out next.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Had a scary encounter involving a telescope once. Went to my uncle's house and saw his. Thought he'd been doing some star gazing. Then I peeked through and realized it was pointed at his neighbor's bedroom window, and she was waving!

18. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Wellllllllllll, the game warden would get mad and argue that I could've just scared it off. Also, people(not really sure who) go back into the woods to study the black bears. They also would've been mad. Also, he was walking in a field and if I had somehow killed him the owners of said field would be mad that I killed it in their field. Again, I had a .22 loaded with some 40gr Eley target rounds, not exactly a hunting round. So, in the end NOT shooting it was my best option.

19. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

We have a lot of coyotes were I live. Sometimes they get so close you can't sleep with all there howling, so I fire off a few rounds in their general direction to shut them up

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Final Net Extra Hold hair spray effs them up. Goops up their wings.