An excellent read!

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CA357, Sep 13, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I just finished "Lights Out" by David Crawford. It's fiction and it takes place after an EMP event. It details how a neighborhood survives by getting together and pulling together.

Although it's fiction, it contains an amazing amount of real information for survival after SHTF. It made me re-think some of my preps as well as giving me some good ideas.

I found it to be a page turner and I highly recommend it.

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I downloaded the pdf of Lightsout a few months ago and had a hard time getting into it. Still haven't gotten back to it.

3. CA357

It starts out a bit off and slow, but it gets good pretty fast.

4. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I guess I should give it another go. Thanks for the heads up.

5. erikthebald

erikthebald New Member

I tried, I really did,

But as soon as it got into "you've been chosen to join us because you're a good protestant" I had to put it down, leave the room, and hurl.

To put it another way, I've got a pretty solid list of people I'll have joining my cabal after the SHsTF and none of them were invited based on whether or not they go to church.

6. CA357

Keep reading. I don't want to give any plot points away, but it's worth continuing.

7. erikthebald

erikthebald New Member

I'll give it a shot.

All right, based on your say so, I'll give another try. I'll skip over the churchy stuff. ;-)>

I work in an office so it did get me thinking about what I'd do if the SHTF while I was away from home. In truth, my office is only 2 miles atcf from my house so I can make it home quick, even on foot, (10 minutes if I had to) also staying off the roads by hoofing it down the light rail tracks which run right past the office and also within 100 yards of the house. I may not be as heavily armed when I'm not home (for the time being, but that's being rectified) but I've got enough sneaky little hideouts that I could, in a pinch, make it home from virtually anywhere in the city, even if it's gone bad...

8. CA357

There isn't any churchy stuff. Give it a go.

9. chiefrude1

chiefrude1 New Member

I just started it yesterday night, got it for my iPad for $7.99. On chapter 10, so far I think its a good book. I agree it is a page turner and has already taught me a thing or two. Due to financial reasons I have been unable to do any prep to date, but with the wife finally done with school and starting her new job in October that will change. I look forward to picking up some ideas from the book as well as many from the forums regarding prepping here. I have a lot of supplies to catch up on.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

making a trip to the library today, soon as I pick the kid up from school. Gotta check this out.

11. NOVA

NOVA New Member

I promise I'll look for Lights Out, meanwhile - has anyone read One Second After yet? It also is based on an EMP scenario. A sad, even horrifying story, yet it has moments which could surely enlighten the readers who have just begun to research this subject.

12. bkt

bkt New Member

13. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Great links

Fantastic!
    This will keep me busy for a while!

14. chiefrude1

chiefrude1 New Member

Darn, I tried to find a free PDF version before I purchased the online book. Every link I went to online said that it was no longer available. I guess I should know that when in doubt, ask....

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

The library doesn't have these!! And I share the computer with my wife, there's no way she's gonna let me read a book on it.

16. bkt

bkt New Member

So go get a nook or some other ebook reader. They can be had pretty cheap these days.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

She's been asking if I'd want one for my B-day. Hmmm....

18. bkt

bkt New Member

You do. A bare-bones original Nook has a great e-ink high-contrast display. The newer ones have the color display that isn't as good as an iPad. If you're going to go big, get an iPad - you can read ebooks on it just fine and do a whole lot more. An original Nook is cheap and will do just fine. There are others out there...look around and find one that works for you. (The original Nook has free 3G connectivity - you can download books anytime anywhere. Nice touch. And it has wifi so you can get books that way, too, and get software updates easily.)

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would need one that is wifi capable. I'll bet that's pretty common right? Kobo, Barnes and Noble, or what?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  20. bkt

bkt New Member

I know the nook and iPad base models have wifi built-in. The iPad will do a LOT more than a nook, but the original nook's display is easier on the eyes for lots of reading and the original base model nook also has 3G so even without a wifi connection you can still get new books; the 3G connection is free - no cost for the connection, but there's still a cost for commercial books.

You can load PDF and other doc formats of free books and the nook will read them just fine. Chances are pretty good all the other ereaders and the iPad will too.

Look around and see what display is best for you and what works for your budget. I find an ebook reader is great - I can take it anywhere. And if you would otherwise be tying up a computer others want to use, this solution is a no-brainer. :)