Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I ran into this guy at the range who was shooting some pretty nice AR's and in conversation he said he built a .50 BMG on an AR platform. I kind of did the "Wow, that's cool!!" and retuned to shooting; but my question is "Can it be done?" Is there someone building and AR lower in .50 BMG?

·
Registered
962 Posts
cabelas has an 50 bmg aswell as a 50 beowolf conversion kit for the ar platform, thats all i know about them though

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
And from the completely unnecessary department.

Just want you need, to subject your normal AR lower to that kind of stress, torque and chamber pressures.

Honestly, from a gunsmith stand-point, if you want something like a .50 cal, you need the right platform. You don't need a 2 pin attachment to your existing AR platform.

That's great that someone was clever enough to come up with the idea, but it seems to be a solution without a problem in my opinion.

JD

·
Registered
992 Posts
And from the completely unnecessary department.

Just want you need, to subject your normal AR lower to that kind of stress, torque and chamber pressures.
JD

Like we used to say "everything can be air dropped...once"

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I saw them in an issue of Shotgun News once but I happen to agree with JD. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen, way over the top, like putting a jet engine in Ford Ranger. Buy extra parts, you're gonna need em!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts