An AR Platform .50 BMG?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dunerunner, Nov 29, 2008.

1. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

OK I ran into this guy at the range who was shooting some pretty nice AR's and in conversation he said he built a .50 BMG on an AR platform. I kind of did the "Wow, that's cool!!" and retuned to shooting; but my question is "Can it be done?" Is there someone building and AR lower in .50 BMG?

2. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

cabelas has an 50 bmg aswell as a 50 beowolf conversion kit for the ar platform, thats all i know about them though

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And from the completely unnecessary department.

Just want you need, to subject your normal AR lower to that kind of stress, torque and chamber pressures.

Honestly, from a gunsmith stand-point, if you want something like a .50 cal, you need the right platform. You don't need a 2 pin attachment to your existing AR platform.

That's great that someone was clever enough to come up with the idea, but it seems to be a solution without a problem in my opinion.

JD

4. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Like we used to say "everything can be air dropped...once"

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - :D *insert filler here*

JD

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I saw them in an issue of Shotgun News once but I happen to agree with JD. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen, way over the top, like putting a jet engine in Ford Ranger. Buy extra parts, you're gonna need em!!