An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Trez, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

That's crazy!!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm at work and don't have the time to study this. I will look at it closely when I get home. Thank you for this great post.

4. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Holy cow! Thats like the best 9vs45 argument ender I've seen yet.

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I remember reading this a year or so ago. I don’t know that it’s the perfect study, but it’s very good. Especially the narrative commentary on how/why the numbers skew. Long story short; Bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Spray and Pray takes little to NO practice.:eek:

Bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.

7. mike_68

mike_68 New Member

Thanks for this article post...good info!

8. Polygon

Polygon New Member

It's an interesting article, but there are too many variables to be entirely accurate. Namely the human variable.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Now does anyone wonder why I pack .22 ?????????????

10. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    Wyatt Earp

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I think this is a very good article. It gives us some real information, not just the usual bantering, hearsay and stories.

I believe that the first and foremost consideration for using a firearm for self-defense is being proficient with whatever gun you have and being able to hit the target. You need to be able to use your firearm effectively, plain and simple. You can't make up for lack of proficiency with a bigger round. A hit with a .22LR is better than a miss with a .44 mag. I know people who recently purchased handguns and have not given much thought to learning how to use them. There is a real run on guns and ammo taking place right now because of the election season. Many of these gun buyers will just take their guns home and not learn how to use them. That is their right but they would be doing themselves a favor if they were to make the effort and spend the time to become proficient with their firearms. I guess some folks feel safe enough just having a gun around, whether or not they can use it effectively.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

That is true ----sad----and a bit scary :(

13. kilo7

kilo7 New Member

Thanks Trez, this is a very interesting article.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have read this over more than once. Thank you so much. There's a lot for me to learn here. I feel much better about the "9 mm vx. 380" that is raging in my mind. LOL