Amount Of Magazines Per Handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by WillWork4Ammo, Jan 27, 2014.

1. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

I was thinking about this yesterday while looking for spare magazines for my 92FS.What do you think is the minimum amount of magazines per handgun?I think 2 is ok,but 3 is much better and preferred.I know some that have around 8.As for conceal carry,depending on what I'm carrying that day.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I try to have a least 3 magazines per handgun.

For my competition, I have at least 20.

For carry, I like to carry 2 extra when possible.

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

As many as I can buy!

Never less then 4! Ex. I have 8 currently(6 std. And 2 ext.) for my LC9. And 5 for my SR9...:cool:

I know folks with 1 magazine. I ask them why they bought a Semi-Auto for if they only have one mag?

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

3 high quality magazines.

5. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Depends on the reason? I think capacity is also a big factor. If I carry my 1911 it only holds 8. 1 extra equals 16 rounds and a magazine to change if a malfunction occurs. Now if I'm carrying my Five-seveN then that's either 20 or 30 Rds plus a second mag of 20 or 30 equals 60 Rds max in just 2 magazines. I think if I carry anymore than one spare with the Five-seveN I may be mistaken for a well armed militia. .......lol

Sent from my SM-N900P using Firearms Talk mobile app

6. CZfanatic

CZfanatic New Member

4 is a good number. Look at it this way, most of us regular sized guys probably won' t cc the M9. But for home defense and the range, I still take mine with me. Having said that, if if you get into a gun battle that requires 120 + rounds, you have a crazy person shooting back:). Or another way to look at it is, if you can' t Neutralize the threat situation with 17 rounds, a good life insurance policy is probably a better option:).

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Well,...

After the 2nd mag. If they are still standing it's time to go deep in the special bag....

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

3 for my #1
    Others just whatever came with the gun-
    xtra mags are a convienience- chances of you ever needing a xtra are slim to none-

9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

If you get a bunch of magazines just never take all of them loaded to the shooting range. You will go thru all that ammo so fast it will make you silly. Take two or three mags so you can slow down and smell the gunpowder.

Or am I the only one with a total lack if discipline?

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Nope, just you.

:D

Depends on the purpose of the handgun. My Ruger Mk III? 2 mags. Range shooting, and maybe bunny bopping.

Concealed carry? 1 mag. If two magazines have not resolved the issue, then I am in the middle of a firefight. Why the hell would I choose to get in a firefight with nothing but a handgun????

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

YUP on all counts :p

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

For my m9a1 I've got 7 the wife has 7 for hers all are 20round mecgars.

When I ccw I only typically carry what's in the gun sometimes a spare but not always

13. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Three is my normal concealed carry on my 40s&w. That gives me 36 rounds total. Not enough for a firefight, but enough to deter while I evac from the situation...

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Hell I ain't carried a "extra" mag since Viet Nam---
    Unless you're a drug dealer of hang around them or their "area" getting into a "firefight" is about as likely as winning the lottery -------------

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

For those that have revolvers, I'd recommend atleast one speed loader/speed strip, maybe a few more.

16. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

For my ruger sr9c i got 3 1itg 2 in the safe. My sig mosquito 3. id say for shtf 5 for range 3 to 4

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I advise anyone who was a SA handgun for defense to have a minimum of three (3) mags. Even if you do not carry an extra mag for CC you always have the probability of lost or damaged mags. :)
    As a LEO we carried three, on duty. One in the weapon and two in our pouches. Some carried more, but I did not see the need. I carried two more in my 'go' bag and another box (50) of ammo there also.

18. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I did not know you were in law enforcement!!!:)

19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

30+ years! I am retired now and just do 'volunteer' work for local agencies and the FOP.;)

20. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I try to have at least three for each of my semi autos.