Ammunition

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by nstaffor, Sep 29, 2011.

1. nstaffor

nstaffor New Member

I'm going to be buying my first handgun and am pretty set on a Smith and Wesson M&P, but I'm not sure on the caliber. I know I like the power and size of a .45, but I'm told the price per round is a lot higher than 9mm. I want to practice shoot quite a bit, but money is tight. So what is the average price per round on 9mm, .40, and .45?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

It all depends on the brand of ammunition and type of ammunition usually. If you buy full metal jackets or lead cast ammunition it will be a lot cheaper than something like hollow points. 9mm is going to be the least expensive, next is .40, and the .45 ACP.

I would recommend starting with the 9mm so you can learn the fundamentals of shooting, be able to shoot more, and get more practice in.

3. knfxda

knfxda New Member

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i know around here average brands are
    9mm... $11 or $12 per box of 50
    .40 ...$15 to $18 per box of 50
    .45.. not sure i dont buy it

thats for the average target loads. hollow points are a few bucks more and generally per box of 25

for a first pistol out of those those id pick the 9mm as you would get to shoot it more. but really as a first pistol i would suggest lookign at .22. they are great to practice with. cheap at around 500 rnds for 20 to 25. it would let you shoot a lot and get used to shooting pistols while saving you cash on ammo

5. nstaffor

nstaffor New Member

I'm going to be using at as a carry and a home defense, so 9mm is the lowest size I'm going to go, but from what you're saying that's the best thing to get anyways.

6. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

9mm will be a perfect start for you. Winchester White Box 100 at walmart are $24.97. I've probably shot between my glock 17 and my 1911 1500 rounds + with WWB and maybe have had 5 bad rounds. Not bad considering loose pack ammo (9mm) at least. And the brass has proven to be pretty good for reloading as well. Congrats on your first handgun, M&P's have been proven to be pretty dang reliable, lots of police forces have changed over from Glock to the m&p's (not that I agree considering I'm a glock owner/lover) Now if we can just get you to get a 1911 next.....

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Do yourself a favor and read this thread.

Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W for self defense

If you don't know who Rob Pincus is, Let me google that for you

If you're really set on a polymer gun you should also look at the SA XD9;

Springfield XD 9mm 4" Black 16 round Mags $430.00 SHIPS FREE

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

You're probably best off buying a 9mm. I prefer metal frames, but the M&P is a very good gun.

Here's what I usually pay for range ammo (per 100rds):

9mm: $22
    40sw: $29
    45acp: $34

9. nstaffor

nstaffor New Member

It's funny that you bring up the XD9, its one of the other guns I'm planning on shooting when I go to the range to make my final decision. Have you or anybody else fired both? I've been watching a lot of videos and looking around a lot on both guns (as well as the SD9, but I've found that for the extra money just going for an M&P is worth it) and it looks like it's 50/50 between those. Just one of those things I'll know after I shoot them maybe?

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I've shot both and I think the XD is the better of the two.

If you are still looking, do yourself a favor before you buy. Find someone with a 9mm Browning Hi-Power and put a box of ammo down-range.

Two years ago I checked the Browning Hi-Power off my bucket list and found my now-favorite carry piece!

[​IMG]

This vintage BHP cut about 15% of the time needed for lethal double tap hits. It also turned what was a waste of time and ammo, the Mozambique Drill, into a serious triple tap skill.

[​IMG]

When I pick up a J M Browning designed firearm I seem to be able to "feel" Browning's DNA in the gun's form.

The man knew and understood ergonomics way before the word was coined and its science was studied.

Yes, I am a John Moses Browning disciple!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  11. nstaffor

nstaffor New Member

At the range right now, ever have problems with XD jamming up? Seems to be a recurring incident here. The m&p is doing fine, just shooting a bit to the right. I'm hoping its just a problem with the XD they have to rent out, because other than the jams its great.

12. nstaffor

nstaffor New Member

First two pictures are from ten yards, second two are from fifteen. Pics go XD M&P XD M&P. I was def better with the XD and it felt great. A buddy I went with had it jam on him almost every time, I only had it happen once. The M&P didn't jam at all, but it pulled to the right and I couldn't get it zeroed in. So it looks as if I'm being swayed towards the XD9 based on accuracy and feel, and by hoping that the jamming wasn't my doing but the rental gun, and that my friend was loading the mags (when I loaded them the fired more smoothly for some reason).

Attached Files:

13. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Shoot the XDM9, if you can. IMHO, it's a better feeling and shooting gun than the XD.

As for the XD issues, sometimes it is rough to base reliability off of a range gun. How new does it look? Does it look well maintained?

14. knfxda

knfxda New Member

And if I can be an internet slooth here, I'd say your issue with the M&P is with the trigger pull and not the sites.

*Caveat: The following is based on my personal experience and may not correspond with someone else's experiences or opinions.

I do not like the trigger pull on the M&P at all. I find that you have to "bottom out" the trigger and pull it ALL the way back. This creates a situation whereby you mess up your sight picture with your trigger pull. I would guess that you are right-handed and as a result of the overly long trigger pull, you are actually pulling the barrel slightly to the right, which is why you can't correct your aim (because your sight picture is correct right up until the point where the gun goes bang).

The above is influenced by the size of your hand/length of your fingers. If the fit isn't right, you'll have the above results. If the fit is right, you may never notice or experience the above. Based on this, I'll reiterate my suggestion for the XDM9. I would think that the misfit of the M&P would mean a good fit for the XDM9.

However, you may experience otherwise, and it is only your experience that matters.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

go for the XD9. buy lots of 9mm fmj ammo from remington, winchester, federal or one of the other major ammo makers and practice, practice and practice some more. but some high quality sd ammo, like corbon, hornady, or speer and use that when you use it to carry or for sd at the house as that ammo is more expensive, but will get the job done when needed.

16. nstaffor

nstaffor New Member

It didn't look bad, but the jamming was happening mostly to my friend, it only happened to me once. I'm just going to write it off as a user problem. I know for a fact that I will be XD now. I did some research on the XDm, it has a few extras to it, but I don't know about over $100 worth of them. Is there anything that is dramatically different? I know its a little bit bigger, and I'm looking for something that could be used for a carry, so the XD is still looking a bit better to me on that aspect.

17. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

You can buy dirt cheap ammo from Russia with love in most popular calibers.

Look for Wolff,Silver Bear,Barnaul,Tulaammo,etc.

This ammunition will usually be steel cased and dirty,but I've never had a real problem with it.
    Just make sure you clean your piece out real good after shooting it.

As for your first gun,get whatever tickles your fancy the most.

Be it a classic who's design served in WW2 cause you like history,or a modern slick polymer design,get what you like best.

Trust me,you play it that way,and you'll be getting more guns to suit other fancies and whims.

18. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

Before you purchase you may really want to try a glock, as far as reliability you cant find any better polymer weapon. Some people say they arent comfortable but i like the grip on them quite a bit. But guns are a very personal item i would shoot as many guns as possible

19. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I have seen reviews when XDs have issues with jamming when they aren't well lubricated. With that being said, I have never had a jam with my XDm. I have put around 8000 rounds through it. However, i do clean after every range visit, and lubricate well after. Good luck in your XD conquest.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

good point! i also clean my guns after shooting, just the way we were taught. i also believe in a proper cleaning and maintenance of firearms, especially if you are going to use them to protect yourself with.