ammunition sources

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by barchetta365, Jan 12, 2011.

1. barchetta365

barchetta365 New Member

I've had a great experience with LuckyGunner.com. Prices are good and they run specials as well. Shipping was reasonable and quick

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Have to ask as this is your first post (Welcome) - do you work for them?

3. barchetta365

barchetta365 New Member

I don't work for LuckyGunner. I'm only a satisfied customer. In fact, I live in Georgia, not far from you.

4. LuckyGunner

LuckyGunner New Member

This account is the only one that is associated with LuckyGunner.com.

Thank you for the positive review.

Have a great weekend everyone.

5. EJS54

EJS54 New Member

I have also had great luck (no pun intended) with LuckyGunner. Haven't placed order in awhile due to recent reloading habits. I remember an order I placed in Aug. they had reloaded 9mm at a price I haven't seen since.

6. barchetta365

barchetta365 New Member

2nd Purchase from Lucky Gunner

First, I do not work for, nor am I affiliated with, LuckyGunner.com.

Second, I recently placed another order. Again great service and shipping speed. One of their secrets is the real-time inventory system. If it shows "in-stock" on the site, they have it to sell.

How many other vendors do this? Very few. I buy more online than just ammo. I've had terrible experiences with Optics Planet, Botach Tactical and the worst, Impact Guns. All three often have great prices, but items are sometimes not in stock.

I've also had great experiences with LA Police Gear, especially for Maxpedition items.

7. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Do you really want a list, or was that a rhetorical question?? You'll get a shorter list if you ask for those that don't have a decent inventory system. Even a lot of the private owned sellers I deal with keep you apprised of their available stock on the web. Some only let you know if/when you try to add something to your cart, but everyone I buy from has stock status before placing the order.

Optics Planet lost my business because they backordered several items on two separate orders with out one word of the backorder. I e-mailed them about a third order I was going to place and a few of those items were not in stock either, so I just quit using their site altogether.

Lucky Gunner does have some good prices on centerfire ammo, I can save a bit on rimfire elsewhere.

8. barchetta365

barchetta365 New Member

I already have a short preferred vendor list, but I'm always open to a recommendation. My frustration comes from the sheer number of sites with an overall poor website design. The vendor may have great products and/or prices, but the buying process is corrupted by a lack of basic features, only one of which is a real-time inventory system. Most of the issues I've experienced would likely be solved if the business simply attempted to shop on their own site.

9. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I agree about the poor inventory tracking on some sites. I have stopped ordering ammo from Sportsman's Guide because of repeated backorders.

The product would show available, but after placing the order I would get an email that the product was not in stock, estimated shipping in a month or two. Then in a a week or so the shipping date would get pushed back some more. It seemed that this would happen when there was an especially good price on something and they wanted to sell it at a higher price, can't back that up, but I'm cynical.

10. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

I've been to a few of those, makes you wonder what they were smoking when they built the site.

About the only ammo I buy now is rimfire, since I started reloading there's not much sense in buying centerfire. Although Cabela's had their Fiocchi 9mm Makarov on sale at the same time I bought my CZ82 and it got me shooting while I waited for Lee to get my Factory Crimp Die sent through their Custom Services. So I was able to shoot the 82 when I bought it and I had some brass ready to reload when the die arrived.

Some of the places I shop for ammo and reloading components:

Natchez Shooter's Supplies
    Able Ammo
    LTD Ammo
    Trophys Hunting Gear - Recently ordered some Hornady XTP bullets for my Makarov.

Heard a lot of positive things about Gander Mountain, but I haven't purchase through them yet. Of course Cabela's, Midway USA and Cheaper Than Dirt have been great over the years. There are others, I just can't remember them all at the moment.

11. barchetta365

barchetta365 New Member

I'm a huge Cabela's fan. I typically shop in the "Bargain Cave", their clearance area. I even visited a retail store in CT last year. Quite an experience. Lately I've been seriously looking at reloading. From what I've read on the Web, Dillon makes a good unit. Cabela's carries a Hornady unit that looks impressive and has gotten good reviews. Any recommendation on equipment? Would you suggest starting with a basic unit and adding on or just commit to an investment up front? I don't shoot that often, but I'm concerned over possible ammo restrictions in the future.

12. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

I've been dealing with Cabela's for more than 10 years and they've always been excellent. Scopes, ammo, reloading supplies, this list goes on, I even bought two Garmin GPS units from them a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the closest retail store is about 500 miles from me so I have to get everything for them online.

I've only been loading a little over three years now, but I started with, and still use an exclusive Lee Classic Turret Press Kit bought through Cabela's, most of my dies and a lot of other equipment are also from Lee. I have nearly 3000 rounds loaded with the turret press, mostly handgun but some 30-30 and 270 also. It's been a great set-up so far and I saved a little buying the kit from Cabela's. The only complaint I had was with Lee's powder scale, mine was never consistent so I bought the RCBS 5-0-5 scale. I believe my Lee was just a defect, because others have been using the Lee scale without a problem.

The presses and kits from Hornady, Dillon, RCBS, etc. are great presses, but I had a budget I was working from and was looking for a progressive or auto-index turret style press due to the volume of rounds I shoot. The Lee kit just seemed tailor made to what I was looking for.

Most of the kits include items you'll need to buy anyway, so if you can save a little on the cost there's no reason not to buy a kit. If you're looking at single stage presses it's really hard to find a bad one, Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, they all sell fine presses and looking at the kits from Cabela's and over at Dillon, I can't really see one that stands out over the rest.

The only thing some have that I don't trust are the digital scales, I've had three different digital scales and they've all been off when the loads are compared to the RCBS 5-0-5. I prefer the balance beam scales and doubt I'll ever buy another digital.

I do recommend buying Lee die sets especially if you're just starting out. Nearly all their die sets, except the RGB series, include a shell holder for that cartridge. Most kits don't include any shell holders, not really a large expense if you only load a few different rounds, but for the price of the Lee dies you get a great set of dies and the shell holder for less than just the dies from other brands. There's also load data and a Lee dipper with each set specifically for that cartridge, but I just use the Pro Auto Disk (pistol) or the Perfect Powder Measure (rifle) instead of the dippers.

If you decide to reload and choose a kit there's enough people here to help with anything you might need to complete the kit and get you started.