Ammunition Distributor

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by atsi, May 8, 2011.

1. atsi

atsi New Member

I recently received my FFL and am trying to determine the best distributor to go through to purchase ammo. for my store. Thx. in advance

Jeff

2. KeithB

KeithB New Member

Ammo is a hard thing to buy right

3. MrM4

MrM4 New Member

The key is LARGE amounts. If your a small time FFL you can forget about "smokin" deals on ammo, the mark up just isnt there.

4. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Which is VERY sad and unfortunately VERY true.

The other best bet if you are a small quantity seller is to hope you are within driving distance to a/any distributor, that will at least save you the shipping. The real plus in this case is selling powder and primers which, in addition to the shipping charges, also carry a $25 hazmat fee that will flat out eat your lunch.

5. KeithB

KeithB New Member

I am 30 miles from Walmart etc, i try and keep a couple boxes each of what my local hunters and target shooters use. I only mark it up 2 to 3 dollars a box. I have a place where i can mix cases to get full 1000 round cases to get better prices and flat rate shipping.

6. Ilv4xn

Ilv4xn New Member

I found an FFL06 holder ammo manufacturer about 25min away I buy re-manufactured ammo from them and sell it 9mm-$10 .45-$15 plus they will make any ammo I ask

7. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

Something a friend found helpful when selling ammo is if you have a range either by your store or you have your own. The ranges around here are far and few so the places with the ranges seem to mark up there ammo a little more then other places.

8. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

"Captive audience" I believe is what they call that. Just don't get too greedy.

9. KeithB

KeithB New Member

I once went to a range where you had top buy ammo fropm them, and were not allowed to pick up your brass that you just paid for, as the ammo was full price :D

10. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

As a couple of others have said already, unless you're buying a trailer load like Wal-Mart you just can't buy it for what they do, but they don't carry very much variety, especially not in defensive ammo.

Unless things have changed drastically post 9/11 one doesn't have to have an FFL to purchase ammo, only firearms. I used to sell ammo along with U.S.G.I. Military surplus as a part-time business. I dealt with Bangers in Birmingham, don't have any of their contact info anymore, but know they're still in business.