1. glock19c

glock19c New Member

What is a good defense 9mm round? I currently use Corbon dpx.

2. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

I use the Hornady Critical Defense in my EDC. I've been wanting to try the Federal Guard Dog but I can't find any of that stuff to save my life.

3. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Barnes Tac-XPD and Winchester Ranger are my preferred choices.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the one that feeds reliabily in your pistol. i would be much more concerned with an ammo that feeds well, each and everytime the trigger is pulled.

IMO, the most accurate, the fastest, or the best expanding ammo is of little concern or use if it doesn't feed reliabily.

most name brand 9mm JHP ammo will perform pretty close to one another. find something that feeds well and stick with it.

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Speer Gold Dots is my carry ammo...

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

For what it's worth I currently have Hornady Critical Duty for use in my M&Ps.

Ya know, all this talk about feeding reliably in a semi-auto. If everyone carried revolvers, we could actually debate about what is the BEST ammo, period, not just the best for our individual guns. :p

7. dcilten

dcilten New Member

I don't have anything in 9mm but I use Speer Gold Dot in .40 and .45. Love that ammo, never had a FTF, or any other malfunction with it.

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I use 124 gr +P Gold dots in my EDC.

9. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

+1 for the gold dots. Good quality and fairly easy to find.

10. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

1st mag Federal Hydrashok 147 gr JHP. 2nd mag Hornady crit def 115gr JHP.
    3rd mag Winchester PDX 124 gr Bonded JHP

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Whch specific 9mm caliber are you asking about, mine is a 9x33mmR, my carry ammo for it is 158gr hydra-shock. :p

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Currently 200 grain Hornady XTP. Only 45 acp at the time.

13. mdauben

mdauben New Member

+1

I generally use 124gr Speer Gold Dot +P or Federal HST +P because I know they work in my guns and because they can be purchased in economical 50round "LE" packages.

I would not have any reservations about carrying any other well known brand of premium JHP, though, as long as I could put 50 rounds or so through my gun to confirm proper functioning first.

14. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Or you could find a pistol that feeds anything reliably.

I have very little patience for weapons that don't go "bang" when I pull the trigger.

All that said, even though it is expensive I still recommend anyone put at least two magazines of whatever they plan on using through their weapon.

I currently use Federal Hydra-Shoks in my .45. However, I am seriously considering picking up some Speer for my 9mm.

15. zeke4351

zeke4351 New Member

I always carry a round that is used by LE no matter which caliber I am carrying. They don't carry any of the Gaurd Dog or Critical Duty type stuff. Remington Golden Saber and Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger and ammo such as that is all I want to trust my life to. In a 9mm I want it to be +p or +p+ in a 124 grain bullet.

16. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

LOL! Well my Glock eats anything. It doesn't care. So WE can still debate what the BEST ammo is. ;-)

17. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Ill second that :)