Ammo

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JolietGunner, Mar 3, 2013.

1. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Im new to this and I have a ? whats the difference in the grainsof the bullets?

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

The grain is how heavy the bullet is.

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Yes, grain is just a unit of measurement. Higher grain = heavier weight of projectile.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

7000 grains in a pound. Bullet weight and powder weight are always in grains.
    Take a 9 mm with a 115 grain bullet or a 147 grain bullet. Usually the lighter bullet would be faster(higher velocity) and have less recoil and less muzzle jump. There are advantages to both heavy and light bullets.

5. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Ok gotcha thanks guys!

6. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

That begs the next question. In your 9mm example is their the same amount of gun powder in the 115gr round as the 147gr round? If so, I assume there is a difference in the velocity of the round. What about the energy of the round, is it the same for both as energy = mass X velocity?

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Mass x velocity = momentum. Energy = mass x velocity squared.

Attached Files:

8. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

Thanks, and that is why I should not be allowed to post things on the Internet late at night :D

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Virtually every load has a different type of powder and a different charge.

Factory loads, and hand loads both carefully select the type of powder and charge weight to obtain the maximum velocity and energy at safe operating pressures.

10. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

There's a million different potential ways. I usually shoot either 115 or 124 depending on what is available. I sometimes get the 124 Winchester NATO rounds, I do like those.