ammo?

Discussion in 'Virginia Gun Forum' started by potentialglock, Feb 7, 2013.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

Alright fellow Virginians. Its time we all help each other out. We all love to shoot and as such need ammo to do so. So if somebody around here sees any ammo availability let the rest of us know. For instance the new Walmart in Newport News had lots of defense rounds foe most handgun calibers and several boxes of fmj for 380. Any other sightings?

2. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Dick's in Bailey's Crossroads and Fairfax both get regular shipments of 22LR, just call on Tuesdays or Thursdays to ask if they got any (at 9 when they open) and they'll reserve you a couple boxes.

3. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I make a point of it to not shop at Dicks anymore

4. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Good for you?

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

For anybody in S.E. PA or N. DE, Targetmaster (rt. 202, just north of the PA stateline) is selling 500 rd. cases of popular PD caliber ammo at reasonable prices again. Federal 9mm FMJ, $129.99 + tax.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    towboater likes this.
  6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Shhhhhhhh! You're giving away our secrets. :)

towboater likes this.
  7. Ryadew3468

Ryadew3468 New Member

I do too....

towboater likes this.
  8. wghuffman

wghuffman New Member

Dicks

I don't shop there myself.

towboater and peashooter224 like this.
  9. tlmathe

tlmathe New Member

I got some .40 at Dawson's in Wood bridge today and it wasn't a 1 box limit

10. nixfix

nixfix New Member

For all of those, who have their panties in a twist about Dick's, Silver Eagle Group has had every popular pistol caliber throughout this entire mess. No markups either, 3 box limit. Last time I purchased 9mm there, it was 16.99 per box.

11. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

It has been my experience that Gun Shows have had the best deals on ammo with the exception of .22 LR. They just dont seem to want to deal on the .22 LR and it is about 10¢/rnd at best.

All other ammo (at least for us) has been found to be good prices at 250 rnds or more and there is no shipping as there is with online stores.

Salem Gun Show July 2013
    500 rnds .40 $209.00.

Roanoke Gun Show August 2013
    500 rnds 9MM $139.00.

I did order 100 .308 Win $56.00 from Sportsman's Warehouse. Shipping was $11.00. Still a good price per round after adding shipping.

.22 LR is still a problem. Sales lady at Walmart/Salem, Va indicates when she opens at 7:00am there is already a line waiting to buy ammo and it all sells before they reach the end of the line so some go home with nothing.

Since our shooting is for fun and plinking the low budget ammo is just fine for us.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  12. peashooter224

peashooter224 New Member

Defender Ammo is online and there prices are great and so is their customer care. They are always at the SGK Gunshows. You also get a discount if you send/give them your empty brass.

13. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

You do know this thread is from 2013 don't you? Zombie Thread.

locutus, towboater, austin92 and 2 others like this.
  14. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

New people seam to bump old threads often.

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Their prices ain't all that great.

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Besides keeping an eye out for local sales, I watch CDNN sports- and there is always ammoseek.com. I think I need to quit buying ammo. Not saying I have a lifetime supply- but at 103 I will need to stock up on a few things.

Moral of the story- if you find a REALLY, REALLY good price, buy a case or two.

Rifling82, PaBushMan and OLD Ron like this.
  17. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I have a wall of ammo. cans full ..... can't get to them most days . :p So I load & buy more & then don't have a place to put it . It is a vicious cycle ! Good thing is the gun rescue has tied up the loading bench so I can't load more to store .

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Freedom munitions is cheaper than the site he gave. I used to order from them a lot. Before i started to reload.

OLD Ron likes this.
  19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The best source of accurate, full power ammo that I can find is in my basement workshop! Most of it comes off of a Dillon.:)

20. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

How about online?
    I like

militaryshooters.com
    sgammo.com
    ammoempire.com
    https://ammunitionstore.com/
    outdoorlimited
    J&G sales
    CDNN sports
    targetsportsusa
    bestpriceammo.com
    the-armory.com

All those vendors have supplied me reliably and affordably with significant amounts of ammo over the years.
    Who knows how long online ammo buys will still be possible in VA... so best take advantage now..
    The Brick and Mortars are getting sold out anyway since everyone is getting ready for the Boogaloo.

So perhaps best to make some substantial orders online

My advice is to peruse those sites above for what you want.. find your best price (dont forget to include shipping in your final price comparo... usually its extra.. but sometimes its included though... so this can make a slightly more expensive deal actually cheaper in the end) .. once you found your best price place as big an order as you can possibly afford.
    This will amortize shipping and help you stash deep.

I usually try to order all the different ammo from same location in one shipping... so if I buy 4 cases of 5.56 and need only 1 case of 9mm.. I will usually buy those 4 cases from wherever a decent round of 5.56 is priced best and then add that case of 9mm to it .. and not chase down a separate vendor to save a couple bucks to make a smaller seperate order.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    locutus and Rifling82 like this.