ammo

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by pontiac163, Mar 13, 2012.

1. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

Say it was just you in a house no nieghbors around within a few miles and no kids noone else in the house. Would fmj be better then the home deffense or does the fmj still have more stooping power?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Fmj will just zip on through so unless its a head shot or they are wearring bulky clothing you would be better off w hp ammo

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. kaido

kaido New Member

I don't have any rifles/handguns for home defense, but I'm pretty sure the SD/HD rounds would be better. The FMJs would pass through the target with out expelling very much energy into it. An HP/SP round is made to expand and drop all of its energy into the target as quick as possible which gives better knock down power resulting in less shots fired.

4. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

That makes sense. What about pure lead rounds?

5. kaido

kaido New Member

I'll be honest, I'm not to sure just how a solid lead round would act. But it would most likely be better then an FMJ since its softer and would have a better chance of dropping more energy in the target.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

That would depend on the caliber bit yes they do better than fmj but not much. If you make them hp then they work awesomely.

7. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

I have a .45 auto so basically fmj's are only good for target practice? I'm just wondering because I figured hp's would put alot more energy into the target. What would you say is the best round to use in hunting?

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Buffalo bore hands down. +p+, golden saber, hydrashoks, and winchester wildcat hp all work well. As i said earlier fmj is good for heavy clothing and head shots. They are illegal to hunt w in most states also in anything centerfire

9. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

I'm in Arizona. I've seen people hunt javelinas with glocks and 1911's id figure id give it a try.

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

In 45 standard ball does pretty darn well... but hollow point rounds do just as well if not better in most situations.

11. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

All bullets are deadly. The military will tell you that their .45s have killed many, and they do not use JHPs.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Large frontal area of a .45 allows it to still be fairly effective in FMJ trim. I prefer a good hollow point. My definition of good is Speer Gold Dot