Ammo ??

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by tenntyrant, Jan 8, 2012.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Have 1420 rounds of 5.56 and 223 in 55 grain American Eagle my rifle is a Colt with a 1 in 7 twist should I be stocking up on heavier grain rounds these will be for shtf.

2. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

That weight should be fine so long as it shoots well in your gun. I believe the standard issue is 62 grain which is pretty close to what you have? The 62 grain would provide a little more energy (very little) down range. Which ever shoots best in your gun would trump that and be the one to go with. If both shoot about the same then use either. At least that's my .02.

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

How does what you have perform in your rifle? That is the most important question. Generally heavier bullets will work better at longer ranges. You have to shoot them out of your rifle at long range (not simulated). Do some empirical testing. That will answer your question. We cannot.

4. jyo

jyo New Member

You should be just fine.

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Thats good stuff, 55 grain used to be standard issue but the 62 grain is now. I have about 400 rounds of it right now as well, plus some 62 grain as well.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have roughly around 2000 rds of 55 gr fmj's I was going to switch to 62 gr myself but my gun shoots them great so I'm going to stay with the 55's my next 1000 rd case will be HPs though