Ammo

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by tenntyrant, Dec 7, 2011.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

What is a good round to carry in my g23 for personal protection?

2. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Hornady Critical Defense, or Speer Gold Dot 180 +p!!!! The speer gold dot is what NYPD carries, only its in 9mm since they carry g19.

3. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

How do you define "good" ?

Any major brand name ammunition that feeds, fires, and ejects 100% reliably in your firearm is good. There are numerous choices for hollow point, some that have been available for many years, probably because they work. Lots of people will chime in about this brand/bullet or that brand/bullet, but advice on the Internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. All the gun magazines regularly run articles about personal defense ammunition and its' construction and performance.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Go with .40s&w

5. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

You should re-read the questain. The g23 is a .40 cal. He was asking type ie: fmj or hp. And what brand we suggest.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

6. xd man

xd man New Member

hollow points from top makers such as 155gr +p gold dots hsts seemto work well.

7. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

Assuming you're shooting at someone that's trying to kill you, Hornady Critical Defense is hard to beat. Maximum shock and soft tissue damage. They're not expensive, either. About the same price or lower than some other brands of hp ammo. I use them in my 9mm G17 and G26. However, vs something hard like a wall or car door it would likely become lodged. That could be a good thing if you ever needed to shoot in your home.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think most .40S&W JHP will do the job. Heck, even WWB flat nose might suffice which I think sweeper22 was driving at above, kinda like has been said about any 45ACP. But today we think more about overpenetration and ricochets so JHP makes sense.

I picked up a lot of Winchester 180gr bonded JHP when I found it on sale for $20 for a box of 50 which isn't much more than WWB FMJ at Walmart. It doesn't have impressive numbers, only 990 f/s and 391 fp of muzzle energy but there are studies that those "talons" do open and will end a fight. And it's pretty soft to shoot. With 9mm you probably want to pay more for the best but the .40 gives you a little more leeway.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  9. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I use Federal 165gr hp Hydra-Shok or Winchester 165gr hp
    Ranger T (Talon).

I'm assuming your G23 is a .40 S&W and not a .357 Sig.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I like Federal HST 180 gr, and when I can't find them Gold Dot 180 gr.

HSTs are nasty.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Buy the gun and then try to figure out what ammo to shoot?

Do you buy a car and then try to figure out what fuel to use?

12. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

If you have multiple guns of the same caliber, it can be beneficial to pick one or two stock ammos to fit the bill like I do. That's why I only look at 9mm mostly, because I already have two 9mm glocks, and in the future I plan on getting a Sub2000 and possibly a 9mm AR. Four guns, one ammo, and I already know which brand and type that I like. I haven't started reloading yet. Carlsbadranger06 peaked my interest in it, but I don't have the equipment yet.