Ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by tenntyrant, Oct 23, 2011.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

What is the best ammo to stock up on for my rra ar 15 for shtf ?

2. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

What ever you can get. When shtf it wont matter if you have wolf ammo or hornady. As long as you have rounds, thats all that matters.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

yeah, what he said. Anything for your gun that goes BANG!

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The one with the lowest cost per round.

And if in tuna cans, all the better.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

But that Russian crap is so dirty I have to scrub my AR from muzzle to buffer after each 100 round range trip. It's also so unreliable and inaccurate. I have got to have bench rest sub MOA in order to put down bad guys.

My SHTF AR is a 26" heavy barreled rifle that only gets fed hand loaded ammo because anything else is so unreliable and dirty. With all the lasers, lights and Tapco furniture my baby is never going to have russian crap ran through it. I just installed this awesome sling I got from the airsoft store. It matches the 100 cordura ACU tac vest and dew rag I purchase earlier in the year.

I'll tell you what, I pray for you guys putting that crap through your flavor of the month ARs cuz when the crap goes down you'll be running to me and my Vulcan for help.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. TunaFisherman

TunaFisherman New Member

Walmart has been selling American Eagle .223 55 grain FMJ for $5.97 per box of 20 rounds. I bought alot of this for target practice and to stock with my green tip stash.

7. bkt

bkt New Member

I avoid Russian stuff (steel cases, dirty). Ultramax Remington reloads are pretty good - 55gr fmj - and fine for plinking. Cheaper Than Dirt often has good deals on bulk 5.56 NATO rounds.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

What he said.

9. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

got some ammo to start putting up.

I bought some mfs .223 fmj 55gr at my local gun shop just to start my ammo stash I paid 150 for 500 round in 20 round boxes I hope I did ok and it will be good ammo for me to put away. Let me know what you think.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Shot some and see how your rifle likes it. If it does OK then you did well. I have tons of that horrible steel cases dirty stuff and it has always worked for my low class off the shelf AR and AK type rifles. I have better stuff that I pick up if the price is good but I have yet to have any trouble from the thousands of rounds of horrible ammo that I've bought and stacked all over the place. Bare in mind though I have spent less on one M4gery, M70, And SKS than some people put into one AR. So maybe it's a blue collar thing. But my thinking is I'll probabally not have a bench to take out the zombie hordes so I really don't spend much time trying to turn a "SHTF" type weapon into a bench gun. I do wander around in the woods and have been known to neglect cleaning for about 1K rounds. Mostly to see if I could go that long. Because any zombie killer is going to have to be able to get dirty...Well..My thinking anyway.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Your right. I intend to camp out right next to the vulcan. You wont have to worry about a thing. I'll cook, clean, even hold the bottle while you go. Just let me fire off a few thousand rounds for a couple seconds.