Ammo

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SmithKid308, Aug 31, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What diffrent types of 22lr ammo is there and can you make you own load of 22 like I know you can re-load but can you load your own?

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

there are as many brands of .22 as there are cars. and no you cant reload them. they are what we call rimfire. the firing pin hits the rim of the cartridge ingniting the powder. where as center fire (which are reloadable) the firing pin strikes the center of the cartridge where the primer is. all rimfire are non reloadable. .. so go buy a box of each brand and have fun

3. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I ment cant re-load em but can you make you own loads

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am not sure we are following your question! The only choice you have regarding the 22 Rimfire Ammunition is to buy the brand you want and you can find some variations in bullet weight! But that is it!
    However they can be very accurate when matched to the weapon you are shooting. I competed years ago with the Federal H-Power 22 Cal. Rounds and shot a perfect Silhouette Score from 25 to 100 yards with my 10" Thompson Contender Pistol. Saying that it is good ammunition regarding accuracy.
    There is other precision 22 Cal match ammunition available to choose from. BUT NO RELOADING on the 22 Cal.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

nope. the average weight is 36 gr to 40gr. there are a few others but not many. the .22 is pretty much the simplest round not loadable or reloadable or however you are asking. just buy and shoot

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With enuff time and money it is possible to do anything except ski thru a revolving door, but there in no reloading equipment sold that would allow you to custom load rimfire ammo. It uses a "heel seated" bullet- case grabs the edge of the bullet, unlike center fire ammo that the bullet slides into the case.

There is BB cap, CB Cap, short, long, long rifle. Low velocity, high velocity, ultra high velocity. Solids, hollow point, spire point, wadcutter, tracer, teargas, blank and shot loads. There is CHEEP bulk .22, and $$$$$ match ammo that is unbelievably accurate.

You also will not find reloading data for rimfire, nor is the proprietary powder used in rimfire ammo available on the market. If you plan to just experiment, and see what will blow the bolt out of your rifle, we will ask that you move over to the far side of the firing range- the firing point that has the fresh layer of sand to soak up body fluids. :eek:

7. Irishgiant215

Irishgiant215 New Member

If you could build a big enough revolving door you might be able to ski through it. The door would need to be massive and traveling at a high speed. With enough time and money I bet I could pull it off. :D

8. c3shooter

Yes- but if your timing is off just a little, they would have to pull YOU off- the door! ( :eek: Dang! I hate it when that happens! Somebody hand me the sqeegee.....)

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Wasn't there a guy on the board a year or so ago that swore up and down that he knew how to load .22lr rimfire?

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

to answer your question theirs hundred of brands everything from solid lead to subsonic to copper plated hallow points. Me personally I use CCI Mini Mags and Remington Golden Bullets 36 grain plated hallow points aprox. 1280 FPS (feet per second), I usually buy it in bricks about 550 rounds costs about $25.

11. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

As everyone has so well stated, you can't reload it. You can buy and shoot many many variations of it.

If you're just looking for a nice leisurely day of plinking, you can usually get by with the cheaper bulk stuff.

If you're looking to make a single hole in a target with multiple shots, you will need to invest the time and the money to find the ammo that your gun simply has an "orgasm" over.

If you're one of the lucky few, your gun will get off on the cheap stuff, but don't count on it.

.22 ammo, and .22LR in particular, is overall so cheap that you just need to buy and enjoy. Don't sweat the small stuff. Finding the "magic" stuff is a lot of fun. Go on line to one of the bigger sources of ammo and buy one of each brand, type, velocity, etc. And then settle in to some good times checking them out.

:D:cool::D

Good Luck!

12. zimm

zimm New Member

I think the myth of reloading .22RF comes from the depression/WWII when tools were available to take fired .22 cases and swage them over a piece of lead wire to make a jacketed .22 caliber bullet which could then be loaded into .22 centerfire rounds such as the .22 hornet or whatever cartridges were available at the time.
    I have been told by numerous sources that .22lr components could be bought and combined into loaded ammo during WW II because loaded ammo was not being commercially produced. But I have never been able to find evidence of this.

13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The fact that Remington has such a hard time in the Primary loading of .22lr ammo should be proof enough that it is difficult enough
    that the average citizen shouldn't bother trying to reload .22lr ammo.

That being said, my grandpa used to do it...but only because there was no other choice back then.
    Downside is that occasionally, the case would burst at the edge sending hot gases directly into the action.
    Not so bad on a bolt-action...but I can imagine it would get painful on a lever, and real bad on a semi-auto.

14. lief69

lief69 New Member

RCBS stands for rockchuck bullet swage their first product which turned .22 emptys into bullet jackets for centerfire use in Hornet, Bee, Zipper, Swift and wildcat round use when all ammo was going to the war effort (WWII).

15. c3shooter

(Ahem) Note from an explosives engineer.

Rimfire ammo is primed by inserting a dot of wet priming compound, mainly lead azide, into the cartridge case, which is then spun at high speed, forcing the small, precisely measured drop of material out into the fold of the case head. It is dried, at which point it is a very touchy primary explosive. It is detonated by being pinched in the metal fold of the case head by the firing pin.

Lead azide is such a high HAZMAT that in bulk, do not believe it can be shipped. Once assembled into ammo, it will not mass detonate. The machinery that does this is automated, has blast channeling to carry a WHOOPS in a safe direction away from workers. Rooms have blast relief- a panel or wall that will blow out, so blast wave does not destroy other parts of the building. You still have a man-loading rule that limits how many people can be present in one blast division of the building. Walls of the last plant I looked at were 8.5 inch steel reinforced concrete. Special care is taken that clothing not be contaminated with azide, or it can explode when dry.

Still want to load rimfire ammo? Have at it.

But if anything happens, can I have your guns? :rolleyes:

16. 22LRShooter

22LRShooter New Member

Like most everyone else has said 22 LR ammo cannot be reloaded and I am not fimiliar with a process where you can load your own...

You need to do what I do everytime I get a new 22 LR firearm... I have a box with about 20 different 22 LR ammos in it and you just have to try them all because One Will Work Better than the Rest!

Like my last gun I bought, a Savage Mark II, shot best with Federal Premium Match 922A and you can always find deals once you find out which one shots best in your gun... like I found a great deal on mine at The Guns and Gear Store PREMIUM - Premium Gold Medal Match .22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Solid The Guns and Gear Store - Quality Hunting, Reloading, Shooting, and Outerwear Supplies... the BEST Prices Always! Shop Here for Great Deals! Located at 2103 Frontage Road North, Suite #

If you find a way to reload 22 LR I am sure we would all like to know!