Ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Tinob, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Tinob

Tinob New Member

What's best ammo to use on an m4

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Oh man the sky's the limit!

You'll have to tell us more - what do you want to do, plink, target, varmints? Cheap/expensive ammo? Is your bore 5.56 or .223? barrel twist rate and length? Things like that...

3. shnorse

shnorse New Member

the best ammo is the one that hits where you want it to.

It will depend on your gun, the twist rate is important though to get your grains right. I find that in my 1 in 9 twist 5.56 stag arms 16" barrel, 55 grain PMC .223 and Remington .223 in 55 grain let me shoot 1/8" steel sideways at 80 yards..... That is one very small target to hit at that range, and these bullets hit it as long as i do my part... i have tried 62 grain and the bullets hit 3-5" from where they should... never used it again...

however, what works for my gun may not for yours.. i'd buy 20 rounds of a bunch of different types of ammo you feel comfortable spending money on... stuff like Hornady is nice, if you want to pay for it.

wolf ammo is highly debated, however the majority of people say that it is really inaccurate, dirty, and prone to jamming your gun, others have no issues... that said, i never touch it, i'd rather feed my 1,000 gun brass cased ammo.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. ironsights

ironsights New Member

don't use Wolf ammo, it jams the weapon and I find it inaccurate. In all my weapons using rifle ammo Wolf ammo does not work satisfactory. In pistols another story.

5. Tinob

Tinob New Member

It will be .556 caliber. For targets and plink

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

What kind of barrel? length, rate of twist, what distance will you be shooting at? What kind of groups are you looking for?