Ammo?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mike5150, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mike5150

Mike5150 New Member

Just got back from the range for my first time and we dropped about $60 on 200 rounds of Winchester 9mm target ammo. At this rate I can't afford to go shooting as often as I hoped. I'm hoping for some advice from some of you more experienced and frugal shooters. Where is a good place to buy ammo? I've also heard that cheap ammo is a bigger pain to clean up after. I'd be willing to spend that extra time cleaning my gun if it also meant I could spend more time shooting before I run out of money. As long as it's safe I'd like to hear your advice on what type of 9mm ammo to get also.

Thanks!

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

3. gilfo

gilfo Member

You can either try to buy bulk on line, or check your local Wal Mart, they usually have the lowest prices on 9mm (if you can find it). You will probably shoot less they next time you go to the range and learn to conserve you ammo after the novelity wears off a little.

4. EiteCombat

EiteCombat New Member

$60 for 200 rounds is insane :eek: Like everyone else said, Wally World usually has 100 rd Winchester boxes for $20. Or 50 federal for $9. Here in VA they usually always have 9mm. Rarely have 40 tho:(

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Even .45 100 round WWB is just a bit over $30 here. For 9 mike mike, that is outrageous at $60 for 200. Just my $.01

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am so glad I started reloading 2 years ago. I pour my own lead for bullets. The only things I buy are powder and primers. I cost me quite a bit to get set up. But I reload everything I shoot for less than $6 a box. Thats even 45 Colt at 255 grains for less than $6 for 50 rounds. Back when we had real ammo shortages I had the entire range all to myself.

7. Mike5150

Mike5150 New Member

I guess that's what I get for buying at the range. At least they give a discount for the range rental if you buy $10 in ammo. I never see Ammo in stock at my Walmart, but at those prices I'll definitley keep looking! As for Ammoman.com, it looks like his prices are even higher then the range. Most of his cheap stuff (which is all out of stock) goes for $159 for 500 rounds which is almost $32 for 100 rounds.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Nationally- Walmart. Here in the PacNW, we also have BiMart...if you're not in the NW, you probably have some other similar regional chain.

Expect to pay 20-25cents per round of cheaper 9mm range ammo...or $10-12.50/box of 50. I think that's pretty typical anywhere. I buy most of my practice ammo at Walmart and order most of my JHP defense ammo online.

As to 9mm, look for these 115gr options:

1) Winchester White Box- 100 rounds, $20-24 at Walmart
    2) Federal Champion- 50rd, $9-12
    3) CCI Blazer (there's a few flavors)- 50rd, $9-15
    4) Remington UMC- 50rd, $12-15 / 250rd mega box, $55-65

FWIW- Here, Walmart charges $21.97 for the 100rd WWB.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Another vote for reloading. As much as the place disgusts me, check Ebay for USED reloading dies and presses- frankly, have never seen a reloading die worn out. While I also cast my own bullets, even BUYING bullets, powder and primers, it is a lot cheaper. You can get a basic set of dies, press, cheap scale, shell holders- for about what you paid for 200 rounds of ammo.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Buying ammo at the range always brings a premium price tag with it. $15/50rd box is actually pretty good for range prices. I have heard of prices in excess of $20/box for target fodder. Kind of like buying gas at the marina vs filling up the boat before you put it in the water.

11. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I try to stock up when I gun shows. Sometimes if the vendor is looking to unload stock u can negotiate and get a few dollars off.

12. Mike5150

Mike5150 New Member

I may look into reloading. One of the Ranges in my area said on their website that they do not allow reloaded ammo, is that typical? Is there a website that you could suggest on how to learn the in's and out's of reloading, or is it pretty straight forward? Now I just need to find a place I can shoot for free! I live near Chicago, so I have a feeling that's going to be much harder ;)

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i reload. much cheaper and you can tune your rounds to what your firearm likes best. i frequent ranges that dont care if you go through the empty casings buckets picking out a fistful of brass now and then. most ranges dont like reloads because they dont care for lawsuits when some chucklehead blows up their rental guns injuring themselves.

i practice a dont tell attitude with reloads at ranges none of their business what i shoot through my weapons.

14. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

If you want to shop online this is a good resource Ammoseek you can search by type, dealer, manufacturer, etc. and compare prices

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Amen to that, brother. They charge those prices because they can. Not gouging, but right on the line.

16. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Wally World never has 9mm here. Dick's is getting $.35 per round for baseline ball ammo. I rarely shoot the .380, because it's twice that lately.

17. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

1. We should get a post going on current reputable online ammo resources. Thinking links.

2. On another note my father was given a handloading setup... a something 550 that is living in a box in my basement that has moved 3 times with me. I am ashamed that I have not sorted through it yet. Just need to figure out all the stuff I need to reload my .45 and 9mm brass. It seems like something that takes an investment upfront and not that much room for error ie. a lot of variables.

Been saving nicer brass for the two calibers for about 3 years and the range guys will save their .45 for me but I feel like an episode of hoarders on tv when it comes to all the gun stuff I have in boxes and ammo cans.

Suppose it makes sense to look in to it - I am sure there are some "coaches" hanging around to front questions.

I swore never to go to Malwartz after my last experience but if the ammo is inexpensive for range stuff I will have to try again.