Ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by px4storm, Dec 15, 2013.

1. px4storm

px4storm New Member

Is it me or is it that I can not find .22LR? I can buy lots of 9mm but can't find the other stuff? Anyone else having same problem?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Been a problem for a while.

3. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Was able to pick up a couple 325 count cans of federal yesterday at LGS going back for more tomorrow. They have a **** ton.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Don't get out much, do you? :rolleyes:

Been a massive shortage of everything (except surplus 7.62x54R) for the past year. Everyone has been certain that everything is going to be banned, so they are buying every box of everything on the shelf.

After a bit, it becomes a self fulfill prophecy. We are concerned there will not be ammo on the shelf, so we buy everything on the shelf, so yep- there is no ammo on the shelf.

5. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Actually in my area the ammo is slowly coming back, everything but .22LR.
    When I say coming back, I'm speaking in terms of being able to walk into Walmart an buy a box.

6. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Took this picture yesterday at Wal-Mart.

image-2395637823.jpg

7. px4storm

px4storm New Member

Have no problem and no limit on 9mm. But the .22LR is limited to one box per customer. Empty shelves for .22LR. I look at least once a week. So Walmart is getting a lot in?

8. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Depends were you are. Walmart's by me are flooded with .223 & .40, and to a lesser extent .45. 9mm and .380 are hit/miss, but they do get some regularly. If you want .22 you either have to be diligent or lucky.

9. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I had my best luck going to Wal-Mart around 8/9 a.m. I am set for now, I have a little over 3000 rounds and I hardly ever get to shoot my 22s when I do I will start searching but till then, I'm letting others get some. Our local Wal-Mart still has a 3 box limit, and the next closest one doesn't. I have the best of luck at the one with a limit because no one can clear then out quick enough.

10. JWagner

JWagner New Member

This is part of what I got in an email today from CMP.

" Prior to 2013 CMP received deliveries of truckloads of ammo within a few weeks of placing orders. We are now being advised, as in the case of Aguila .22, that it may take several years to receive all of the 35,000,000 rounds of Aguila ammo we have on order"

Do not hold your breath waiting for ammo. I was thinking about getting a .22 semiauto for plinking, but have put that plan on hold. Is there anything that the State Department could do to allow more foreign ammo to enter the US? (Not that they would actually want to do it.)

11. Ara

Ara New Member

That's a fully stocked shelf.
    The only ammo at my local wall mart is a few boxes of 40 cal wwb.

12. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

It had everything but 22 :(

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Firearms Talk mobile app

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Mine has only had 22 three times in the last year,..and all gone before I can get any. After shooting in the high desert 2 Saturdays ago, I have a little less the 3k of them...I'm going to take someone's advice here and back order 2 bricks of Auto match, and meantime we'll shoot our Am. Eagles and crappy T-Bolts, which only has given me 1 failure to fire in half a brick thus far,..it's just dirty as heck...

14. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

LGS has a metric $hit ton of federal 525 packs on the shelf. Can only buy one a day tho.

15. string1946

string1946 New Member

No I haven't had a shortage problem. I don't let myself get in a postion for that to happen. I gave a friend 200 rds of 22lr and 50 rds of 22 mag Saturday and just told him if things ever free up to just replace them. If he does fine and if he doesn't thats fine too.

Attached Files:

16. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

you have to Back order it on line and wait.:mad:

17. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

really do not understand the hording of 22lr , if the big war or whatever is coming my 22 is not going to be my gun of choice , only use it for plinking or target shooting , and I reload everything I shoot

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Stopped by the two local Walmarts in my area yesterday. The shelves are starting to fill up with a lot of ammo except 22 LR. Must have had 10-12 ARs in the display rack. Colts and all brands! I was shocked! But as I stated NO 22 LRs. I finally ordered a bunch of them from Midway and will just wait for them to show up. But when they do I will no longer have a shortage. Ordered several thousand rounds of CCI and Remington. Did not want to spend the money but if I do not shoot them (which I will not!) they will be great barter material if the SHTF!

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Now THAT is an Ammo Storage Locker!!! Ours is reasonably well stocked, and Only about Half That!
    22LR is all that really "Short" here now. Our Wally must have gotten tired Of hearing Mine & others complain, because their whole BOTTOM Shelf racks are Filled With "Ammo Cans" of 9mm/45/223/5.56 & 308/7.62's running between(dep. on count) from $350-$499. By contrast, Big 5 has had Ammo in stock for longer, and mostly better prices with only one or 2 exceptions...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  20. lowceiling5611

lowceiling5611 New Member

.22 and .17 is two box limit around here, and has been for months. Still very little of it on the shelves.

Don't have any problems finding .380, .40, or .223. But have had problems finding .38 special. Also short on .30-06, but I imagine that will be back after rifle season ends.