Ammo types for a Cobra denali 380?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BamaChad, Sep 15, 2020.

1. BamaChad

BamaChad Member

So I picked up a cobra denali for 75 bucks. It's not a great gun by far. It does do its job though. When I bought it I was told, you can't shoot hollow points in it or anything other than fmj. I bought it at a pawn shop. It was brand new and all but the only manual for it was a download link to a manual for multiple models of cobra guns. I can't find any info on what I can and cannot shoot with it. Can I shoot jacketed hollow points with it? I don't know if the pawn broker was telling me something real or just trying to hold on to his hollow points. He would have to give me a box of them with the purchase of a new firearm but he said all we have is hollow points and you can't use them in that gun.

towboater likes this.
  2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Right now, you will be fortunate to find anything to shoot in it. I think the shop owner was blowing smoke up your skirt, but to be sure, download the owner's manual, if shouldn't be too hard to find online. Go back and tell him that I will swap you some round nose for that hollow-point and you want your damn box of ammo.

primer1, towboater and BamaChad like this.

3. BamaChad

BamaChad Member

Well I forgot that part. I did go back a few days later and got my free box. It was hollow points but I wanted them regardless. I have a few boxes of fmj and they shoot without any problem. The owners manual says it's recommended to use fmj but doesn't say anything about not using other types. When it comes down to it I will use whatever I have for defense. I have a 9mm that will shoot pretty much anything but I am carrying the 380 more lately because of its size.

Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bama
    I have a 380 that is temperamental with most all HP Ammunition. But I went to Hornady Critical Defense 380s and now does not have any issues! I believe it is due to the design and contour of the Bullet. Of course I only carry the HCD for Personal Defense. If I just shoot it to be shooting. I do use FMJs since they are less expensive and will feed!
    Hornady Critical Defense.jpg

BamaChad and towboater like this.
  5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

There is some argument, which I won't take a side on, regarding ammo for pistols like .25, .32, and less about .380s, that FMJ is more effective overall because of the small hollow-point bullets clogging with cloth and not doing the job as well.

BamaChad likes this.
  6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chain
    Has a point years ago we did some testing on the Federal Hydra-Shok 9 mm rounds in our H&K MP-5 Rifles. Only to find that when some of them in our tests struck Bluejean Material on our Gel Blocks and the Center of the Hydra-Shok would fill up and shoot through the Gel Blocks like an Armorer Piercing Full Metal Jack Bullet.

That is another reason I like the Hornady Critical Defense round.

The FTX® — at the forefront of Critical Defense® — maximizes the potential of a hollow point bullet. Its patented Flex Tip® aids expansion and eliminates clogging when passing through clothing. Nickel-plated cases increase visibility in low light situations. Low-flash propellants won’t disrupt night vision and deliver consistent performance, every time.

BamaChad, Chainfire and towboater like this.