Ammo supply looking better in your area?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by BamaChad, Oct 23, 2020.

1. BamaChad

BamaChad Member

I am starting to see a trend in my area of North Alabama. The ammunition stock at stores is starting to look better. I was in Academy yesterday and they were decently stocked in 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, 45 and others. They didn't have 380 but I suspect it will take longer to get back to normal. It was already a low stock item. Several other stores around have at least some type of the calibers you are looking for. If you are looking for 9mm here you can at least find some version of steel cased or Blazer on occasion.

Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  2. BamaChad

BamaChad Member

I also find it hilarious that the media is now starting to throw up articles about the ammo shortage. It's been bad for most of the year and the media is just now noticing.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Not for pistol ammo. Stores stocking up for deer season/waterfowl hunters. Still have dove season promos stacked up. Gun prices stupid high on new guns.

4. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

In my case not really, it’s still about the same. Some that do have a decent supply of ammo are just price gouging it to squeeze every penny out of you.

But hopefully as more supplies come in and shelves start to stock up a bit, prices may come down just a little.

BamaChad and Rifling82 like this.
  5. BamaChad

BamaChad Member

Yeah the gun prices are insane. I bought a canik two months ago for 299. That exact same canik is now 399 at Academy. A lgs here has been selling 9mm and 380 by the bag. 50 count bags for 30. I know they came from the buckets of ammo. They are making a killing.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  6. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

In my area it seems like firearms are at full MSRP, and won't even discuss any kinda break. Ammo for a rental, $45 a box of 50 9mm.

BamaChad, PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  7. BamaChad

BamaChad Member

Man, 45 a box for rentals!? That's crazy. I say that after I have been buying 30 dollar a box for two months. I'm really paying attention to the places that are down right gouging on prices. I understand a place making money. It's supply and demand, prices are supposed to go up as demand increases but some are just ridiculous. Like cheaper than dirt. They are absolutely taking advantage of their customers. I hear they are known for that though.

PeeJay1313 and PANDEMIC like this.
  8. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

It can be found here. 9mm being the most scarce and more expensive per box than 40 sw or 45ACP. 45 acp having went up the least of those 3 calibers.

BamaChad likes this.
  9. reomack

reomack Member

Sure am happy that I reload. I have about 1500 223, 1000 9 mil, almost a thousand 45, and a bunch of other stuff too. The 45 and 9 mil are loaded with bullets I cast myself, good cheap stuff. Yeah, I'm bragging a bit, sorry.

Viking, SRK97, locutus and 2 others like this.
  10. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Nope. Still hard to find the key calibers.
    300 magnum is available, still expensive

BamaChad likes this.
  11. BamaChad

BamaChad Member

You should be bragging! I plan to get into reloading myself one day. I will definitely wait until the shortages are over. I'm thinking it will be better by next summer at the earliest. I can start casting if I want to now but I don't have the time and patience right now lol

12. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Around where I live, not really.

I pop into a couple of nearby shops rather regularly, just to check out the status and to (hopefully) pick up a couple of boxes of decently-priced ammo. While I do happen to occasionally come across a few boxes (even cases) during the first few hours it has been placed into the floor, invariably if I come by the next day it has disappeared.

My guess is, until we start seeing clear trends in the actual news media about a slow-down, we likely won't see much of a real change in the supplies. IMO, there are simply too many people getting into their first defensive arms, and too many people already with a defensive stance ensuring they're well-stocked. Can't see that going away anytime soon.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Not only is it not getting better, it is getting worse. For months it was only 9mm that was short, then .45, now you can't even buy .25 or .32 around here. I am getting down close to my strategic reserve. I am going to have to start shooting .22 and 7.64 x 54R.

DHall_37 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Everybody in town has lots of .243, .270, 7 mangle 'em, .300 mangle 'em, .30-30, etc.

Even saw a stack of .338 LaPua in one store.

Largest stacks of 9mm, .223, .308 are in my basement ammo locker.:D

15. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

Sounds about like when I went to get a pistol for CCW license training at the beginning of Obama's first term, the only pistol ammo available was .40 S&W. Here in southern Oregon things haven't gotten any better, .45 ACP, maybe a box or two, 12 gauge #4, unavailable, same with double 00, some bird shot. About the only ammo a person can get around here is what may be sold when a person buys a gun.

16. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Better? It's even worse than it was a week ago. Simply empty shelves for the most part.

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Where in North Alabama is an academy store:Huntsville?
    Wednesday I drove to town, 40 miles to barber, in Tn and checked out some Big Box stores but not Academy.Everyone was out unless you need .378 Wby and such.
    I would drive to Huntsville for ammo.

18. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Well-Known Member

In my area price is legging supply.

They got it and people are still buying it at inflated prices like no tomorrow. Limiting how much one can buy is helping.

Pallets of 9mm, 40,45,.223 and 5.56.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  19. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Pallet loads of them? Same at a big shop near where I live. A pallet of a popular caliber doesn't last long on the floor; and hour, at best. Zip! and it's gone. Even with a three-box (50rd) limit per person.

Rifling82 likes this.
  20. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Well-Known Member

Yep. They use them to make a nice covid barrier along and in front of the gun counter.

Several row of shelves also. Maybe 60% full but most of that hand gun ammo is self defense so it is a bit pricey.

There is lots of 10mm also.