Ammo suggestions

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by fortinsj, Oct 23, 2013.

1. fortinsj

fortinsj New Member

I just picked up a new ruger lcr in 38 +p. I'm looking for suggestions for some defense ammo. I saw some Remington golden sabers at my LGS today. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you have any suggestions? Anything is appreciated

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

In my experience Remington ammo is a bit underpowered, personally I use Speer Gold dots and Hornady critical defense/critical duty in all my defensive handguns.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Get the best .38 Special you can afford.

You are using the firearm for protection, do you want to bet the farm on some "maybe good enough" ammo?

4. 1911love

1911love New Member

+1, Nothing but Gold Dots and Critical Defense for SD.

5. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Get something that is designed for short barrels. It will have a faster burning powder to get as much velocity as possible out of your gun. Several companies market this type of load

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Three I know of are Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Formula, Buffalo Bore makes a short barrel version, and I forget the last one right now...

7. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P (53921) was specifically designed for snubnose guns.

Corbon 110 gr JHP DPX performs well out of snub nose guns.

Federal has some Barnes DPX loads that work well, but their HST "self defense" load does not perform very well in the snub nosed guns.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

the golden saber is a great bullet but its unfortunately loaded by remington. remington ammunition just plain sucks. its unreliable in my experience.

my colt commander is currently loaded with 230grain golden sabers but i pulled the bullets tossed the powder and put the cases into range reloads rotation. i then re-used the bullets on good cci primers and unique powder at 850fps.

off the shelf speer gold dot/lawman (if they still make it) and the entire hornady critical defense/duty lineup are great. i just wish speer would put out more handloading offerings they have always been my favorite hunting bullets. speer just makes solid reliable bullets

9. fortinsj

fortinsj New Member

Thanks for all the info guys. It's really helpful. Do any of you have experience with the buffalo bore 158 gr 38 special +p? There's a lot of talk about it on the Internet. I'm just wondering where it stands with Speer, Hornady, and others

10. fortinsj

fortinsj New Member

So I went to the LGS today and they must've gotten an ammo shipment in. So besides the original Remington golden saber they had the Hornady Critical Defense. I went with the Hornady off of your guys recommendations, plus it was $5 cheaper. Thanks for all the input!

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

I've heard good things about the Critical Defense line.

In my mind though, its all basically the same. As long as your defense ammo of choice functions reliably in your gun, that's whats really important. Just my opinion.

Congrats on getting some ammo.

12. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Most of the buffalo bores don't expand reliably in under a 2" barrel. Over 2 inch barrel and it's adequate but still doesn't perform as well as the other two Jon and I listed earlier. I can't find a link to the dang test anymore or i'd post it for you. JW listed a specific short barrel version that I never did see tests on. I wouldn't carry anything like a wadcutter unless I just couldn't get a modern JHP.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  13. JW357

JW357 New Member

I don't know much about the .38 Special version, but I've heard good things about the .357 Magnum version. Pretty hard to find youtube reviews though. I'll keep trying throughout the day.

14. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I saw a couple but didn't like the conditions they set up. I'll check brassfetcher later.

15. 1911love

1911love New Member

What is brassfetcher?

16. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

18. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

It works on my platform.

You'd have to judge for yourself if its trustworthy. Its pretty much just a lot of raw data. I trust it as much as I'd trust any other ballistics test set up with that kind of attention to detail.

19. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

I keep my gp100 loaded with critical defense .357 rounds.