ammo storage

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by gloks4life, Aug 19, 2009.

1. gloks4life

gloks4life New Member

hey guys! anyone ever heard of ammo boxes that might keep out moisture when stored in an attic or somewhere similiar? the attic is prob the worst place but I thought i would ask, i can't keep in the safe so that is reason for the question:) thanks for replys

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Any military ammo can is water proof and air tight. There are plastic ones as well. Your problem is not the air or water it is the heat. My attic gets well over 100* on a day that is only 75 or 80* outside. When you couple that with the winter and that is what is going to ruin a batch of ammo in the attic.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Welcome to firearmstalk, stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here. If you have and I missed it, I apologize.

I am not aware of any such can but I can offer you a suggestion and it is what I do personally becuase I keep the bulk of my ammo as well as reloading supplies in my basement where it is also a bit damp. Buy a couple of ammo cans and make sure the seal is in good shape so they'll be air tight. Then go to any retailer or pharmacy(pharmacies have TONS) and ask them for the dry packs that come with their shipments. If you know someone who works there it helps. I make sure the ammo and inside of the care and clean and dry, fill with ammo and throw 4 or 5 of those in with it. If you don't open it very often you should be set for a LONG time. If you open them frequently, just change out the packs every couple of months. You can purchase dry packs for in a safe but I'm cheap and my father in law is a pharmasist so I get them for free.

4. gloks4life

gloks4life New Member

can i leave the ammo in their original boxes or will the cardboard retain too much moisture?thanks

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'd leave them in their boxes. You're not looking for a zero humidity environment, you'll have a hard time doing that. You want an even temp, preferably cool and dry. If you keep it in your house somewhere like a closet that would be perfect! Stays 70-75ish, year around and lower humidity thanks to your heat pump. I agree with tango, the attick isn't a great place, too much temp change.

A rapid change in temp can cause condensation on and inside the bullet case which can cause corrosion or powder contamination, neither are good.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

What Spittinfire said. :)

7. fprefect

fprefect New Member

Shelf life

It is not my intention to advise partaking in anything that could be considered dangerous, but smokeless power is a very "user friendly" material, and about the only case that I dispose of unused powder would be if the powder were to become completed dowsed in water and then dried.

It will still burn, but many powders do have a coating the effects the burning rate of the powder, and should this be removed or altered the powder will not perform as advertised and is unsafe to use. I'm unsure of what effect the total immersion in water would have on primers, but I have heard they contain similar burn rate chemicals added and I would dispose of any that have become completely wet.

I have personally used powder that was at least 15 years old and had been stored in sealed containers and exposed to temperatures ranging from -10F to 115F and they performed with the same characteristics as "new" powder of the same type.

F. Prefect

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  8. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I leave my ammo in a dresser drawer inside the original boxes. Some have been there since Christmas.

S.S.

9. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

When I moved into my house 10 years ago I inadvertently placed some ammo cans in my attic. That was 10 years ago. Cleaning my attic out, I found almost 2000 rds. of various ammo last year. I have been shooting them with no ill effects. Most of the ammo is reloads which I made in the mid-90's, so there is no primer or bullet sealant on any of it. It does get over 100 degrees in the attic in the summer, and below 0 in the winter, but it's not GRADUAL seasonal changes in temp. that ruin ammo - it's drastic and RAPID changes that cause condensation. You can bet that much of the surplus ammo manufactured in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's has not been stored in a cool dry place for decades, yet it still works fine! That being said, my powder, primers, and new ammo is stored in my basement which is cool and dry year round.