Ammo Storage Question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JayCody, Jun 27, 2014.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I am wondering if it would be safe to store ammunition in a safe with firearms. The reason I am asking this is because I know that gun oils/solvents harm ammunition, would storing ammo in a safe with firearms that are coated in oil/solvent harm the ammo in any way? Perhaps I am over concerned but for long term storage I would rather not take the risk.

Thanks for all the help!

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

As long as the ammo isn't getting coated with oil or solvent, nothing to worry about.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

3. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree - I keep rifle and pistol bullets in mine and haven't had any issues

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Have NO idea, I have always kept mine separate............But like the guys have said, as long as the ammo is not coated in oil I don`t think it will hurt it !...............

5. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Most firearm oils and solvents have a strong odor so I thought maybe there are fumes or something. I might call a Manufacturer and ask them.

Thanks!

6. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I would imagine calling the manufacture - they, not knowing the exact conditions, will generally play it on the safe side and say don't do it, buy another safe to store your ammo in. But do as you feel comfortable doing. All I can say is, I have not noticed any problem.

The only other question I'd have is - just how much oils and solvents are your guns soaking in? If you slop them down and store them muzzle up, the oils will run down into your stock and ruin them. A good cleaning and a very light wipe down should do the trick.

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I keep most of mine Sep. From the Firearms, but what IS in the Safe is on a sep. Shelf. I also got a Cabinet with a sturdy lock for most of it, and I keep 22's in a Locked crate that weighs about 130 Lbs empty( wonder how those 2-25 LB lead weights got in there???) also, de-humidifiers work great. If you can't afford the type for a safe, get the kind for Cigar Humidors,...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Ammo in airtight container (Military ammo can). Oils/solvent fumes are over rated for their ablity to harm ammo. I will not store ammo with the guns because I cannot afford another safe or four

9. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

That is a great question. Over oiling is worse for a gun than under oiling. You should be able to pick up a gun and never get any oil on your hand, no matter where you touch it. Now, if you plan on storing the gun, oil on the exposed parts may help prevent any rusting. But guns you shoot need to always be ready to shoot and not swimming in an oil bath.

10. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Humidity is the evil one to both guns and ammo; besides, range time ammo usage.

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

You should not coat your guns in oil.

A light coating applied with a slightly oily rag is fine. But not dripping.

Ammo that is properly cased or boxed should be fine in your safe with your guns.

The notion of not storing guns and ammo together applies to nonsecure storage.

A gun safe is a perfect place to store both together. There is no reason not to.

12. JayCody

JayCody New Member

The guns are wiped down with an oiled rag and the stocks are oiled. Also, I use Ballistol. I wouldn't say the guns are soaking .

Thanks!

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Right. That too. I have a few different MTM's, and an old metal 50 Cal. They were all over Ft. Drum when I was there,...but I think mine came from somewhere else,...
    Jay: if your worried about you ammo "Sweating"( only if it's very old surplus) or "Contacting" gun oils, wipe them down as well( with a different Cloth)....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

ammo and guns like cool and dry environments. huge fluctations in temperatures can cause metal to sweat. humid environments can cause rust to form rather quickly.

descicants work great in attracting and collecting moisture that can cause rust on metal. a light coating of oil on all metal surfaces and a good descicant should cover most needs in keeping guns free from rust.

location within the home or starge area have different requirements. if you have a basement, that can get damp and musty, those needs that need to be addressed are different than if the safe or storage area is in your bedroom closet. most people keep the interior of their homes at a pretty consistent level for the most part, and usually not a lot of huge temperature flucuations.

ammo should be kept in a cool, and dry area as well. ammo properly stored will keep almost indefinately.

15. tenchi

tenchi New Member

anyone store their entire ammo stash in 50 or 100 rd flip top ammo boxes? been thinking about it for space saving and stack-ability.

16. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Ammo is just as pricey/valuable as your guns. That's why I keep mine all in the safe together. Also, my safe is in the safe part of the house and if the SHTF and I have to be barricaded in there for some reason (it's gotten really bad if we're at that point) I have my ammo right there with me and my wife can't complain about ammo cans making her closet look bad.

17. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I have used those flip top ammo containers but IMHO the boxes the ammo came in should work just fine.

18. tenchi

tenchi New Member

i just dont like the idea of stacking it deep with the weight of ammo compressing the boxes onto the ammo themselves or the cardboard eating at the brass from prolonged storage. cabelas has their ammo boxes on sale for 1.49 for 50rd boxes and 2.25 for 100rd boxes.

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I store all my ammo in steel ammo boxes & them in a upright steel locker !.................

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

It can depend on your storage conditions. I live in a dry NC mountain area and store my ammo in a even dryer very cool basement in side a vented on 3 sides 6'-7" high Gym Locker with 6-12x12x12 units in it. Good for maybe 10,000 rounds of mixed size cartridges from .22lr to 12ga.