Firearms Talk banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Just what I did for a number of years. Before and between any shortages in the past. Only buying some .380 here and there because I didn't have a 380 pistol until recent times. It is always high, shortage or not it seems.
Hate to tell you Ool but in today's SGammo email, 380 was ridiculously high...again. I thought about you but it was so high it wasn't even worth taking seriously. I don't entirely get why it is that way because more and more people new to guns are getting 380's. I know it's easy to bang out 9mm 24/7 without changing out dies, etc. on factory equipment but a 380 is the same thing, just shorter, lighter bullet, less powder. They could put in another line and bang it out all day too. That said, 9mm still isn't cheap. Those that bought pre-stupid know what cheap ammo really is. What ammo has come down to isn't even close to cheap. I'm believing there is a raw materials problem as in brass. Copper is at record highs right now. Copper in the cases, copper in the bullet jackets.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,686 Posts
Hate to tell you Ool but in today's SGammo email, 380 was ridiculously high...again. I thought about you but it was so high it wasn't even worth taking seriously. I don't entirely get why it is that way because more and more people new to guns are getting 380's. I know it's easy to bang out 9mm 24/7 without changing out dies, etc. on factory equipment but a 380 is the same thing, just shorter, lighter bullet, less powder. They could put in another line and bang it out all day too. That said, 9mm still isn't cheap. Those that bought pre-stupid know what cheap ammo really is. What ammo has come down to isn't even close to cheap. I'm believing there is a raw materials problem as in brass. Copper is at record highs right now. Copper in the cases, copper in the bullet jackets.
In past years I have always liked Sam's SG prices. Today, he wants $33.95 per box of 50 PMC. I bought some from Target Sports on 12/28 for only $22.54. Sam lists his S&B at $33.95 also. I got my S&B for $22.07.
Ridiculous the way some dealers are gouging us today!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
In past years I have always liked Sam's SG prices. Today, he wants $33.95 per box of 50 PMC. I bought some from Target Sports on 12/28 for only $22.54. Sam lists his S&B at $33.95 also. I got my S&B for $22.07.
Ridiculous the way some dealers are gouging us today!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
I've bought powder on the cheap recently but it was listed as on sale. I've spoken to Sam on the phone when he made good an order screw up and he went out of his way to not only make it good but threw in some goodies. I think he is a good man. We don't know what people like him are putting up with but I do know that Brandon has, over-night, just screwed up ammo, guns, fuel, food, supply chain you name it. I think that is the real issue besides copper being like gold right now. Primers use copper but I don't know why powder is so rare other than hoarding and the govt. gets first in line.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,686 Posts
I've bought powder on the cheap recently but it was listed as on sale. I've spoken to Sam on the phone when he made good an order screw up and he went out of his way to not only make it good but threw in some goodies. I think he is a good man. We don't know what people like him are putting up with but I do know that Brandon has, over-night, just screwed up ammo, guns, fuel, food, supply chain you name it. I think that is the real issue besides copper being like gold right now. Primers use copper but I don't know why powder is so rare other than hoarding and the govt. gets first in line.
Powder Production in the US is nearly non-existent. If you use any extruded powder, it is all made overseas. None made in US. Not allowed by EPA and fed rules. Too explosive of a process.
Ball powder, well, I think St. Marks (Old Olin Plant) in Florida is the only one.

No matter the label on your powders, they may have been made many different places overseas.
These plants around Europe, Australia, and Canada will sell to the highest bidders. The Worlds Military Forces
are all first in line ahead of any re loader. Many of the older plants in Europe have shut down for good over the last 20-30 years. Demand is out stripping production as is. And it is only going to get worse before long.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Powder Production in the US is nearly non-existent. If you use any extruded powder, it is all made overseas. None made in US. Not allowed by EPA and fed rules. Too explosive of a process.Ball powder, well, I think St. Marks (Old Olin Plant) in Florida is the only one.No matter the label on your powders, they may have been made many different places overseas.These plants around Europe, Australia, and Canada will sell to the highest bidders. The Worlds Military Forcesare all first in line ahead of any re loader. Many of the older plants in Europe have shut down for good over the last 20-30 years. Demand is out stripping production as is. And it is only going to get worse before long.
I do notice a lot of it comes from over seas. Didn't know why. I just did a query on the interweb and here is part of it. The information did mention the Florida operation. Wasn't trying to dispute you but I suspect a large percentage of it comes from overseas as OSHA is anal about everything, i.e. the SCOTUS ruling today on the jab. OSHA lost that one except for healthcare workers. Powder looks to be like guns and ammo....short supply, high demand. I'm using some tonight to reload. Me and a lot of other people apparently. 😁

"There are perhaps from fifty to one hundred gunpowder mills in the United States. The principal companies are Du PONT's, in Delaware; HAZZARD's, at Enfield, Conn.; LAFLIN, SMITH & BOIES, at Saugerties; the Oriental Gunpowder Company, of Boston, and the Schaghticoke Gunpowder Company, at Schaghticoke.Dec 31, 1969"

"The current powder situation is due to a record demand for all reloading components and NOT a reduction in the supply of powder. With long-time handloaders looking to stock up and new gun owners looking for ammunition, there is an unprecedented demand for powder and other reloading components.Feb 26, 2021"

https://www.google.com/search?clien...UVs0KHZhZA-UQ9QF6BAgLEAE#imgrc=pORbRwG3RU-6WM

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
China owning / controlling most of the leader and copper supplies has NOTHING to do this.
China thinks long term. The U. S thinks short term. There have obviously been no contingency plans when things were sourced in China in the first place. This affects too much to even begin to name. I just want to option of genuinely being an ammo snob if I want to. That option as I see it, doesn't exist.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts