Ammo Snob

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Rifling82, Sep 13, 2020.

1. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

image.jpg Out to 100 yards this thing is spot on- anything past 100 yards I’d take out the .270 anyways. If, god forbid, something were to happen and I needed a survival type rifle- I could not only use this for personal defense- but I could hunt anything up to a deer with this gun, and rely on the Super Blackhawk for bear and moose. You can’t say the same about a 223 ar- 223 is a predator cartridge on its best day.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  2. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call myself an ammo snob. But I do have certain preferences that I personally like. As in I only shoot good quality brass and never steel. For particular calibers like .22LR. I stick to Remington and CCI. For 12G, its Federal, Remington & Winchester.

For 9mm, its Federal, Winchester, Fiocchi & S&B.

For .223/5.56, its Federal, Winchester, Hornandy, & PMC.

Again, I stick to good quality brass and brass only. And I'm perfectly fine with ammo made not only in the U.S but also overseas as long as its rated good.

towboater, PeeJay1313 and Rifling82 like this.

3. Double20

Double20 Active Member

First off, my wife killed a 9 point buck with a double lung shot with a .223 and the deer only went about 70 yards and fell over dead. She killed another smaller yearling doe with it and it broke both shoulders and exited. That deer only scooted about 20 yards before it was dead. I'm not saying it is ideal, but it will work. The ammo you choose has to be right for the job if you step up to deer size animals.

Secondly, ARs don't just come in .223. I have one in 6.8 SPC that I would put up against a 7.62x39 for any task and do it just as well if not better. Especially between 100 and 300 yards. There is also the AR-10 platform. I have one of those in .308/7.62x51. 7.62x51 vs 7.62x39 is a no contest.

4. BullMoose429

308 and 7.62x39 are not the same type of cartridge though- it’s like saying 44 magnum is way better than 9mm- yes but they aren’t used for the same purpose. As far as cartridges that are comparable to 308 go- 308 is way outperformed by 270 win, 30-06, 7mm magnum, 300 win mag, 300 wsm, 270 wsm. You wouldn’t use an intermediate cartridge at long ranges- and you wouldn’t use a medium or large game
    cartridge for personal defense.

As far as using a 223 for medium game- it’s irresponsible- you are far more likely to end up wounding an animal than with an actual medium game (or even a large or dangerous game) cartridge. I’ve heard of people taking deer with a 22 magnum- it doesn’t mean it isn’t unethical and stupid. I use a 270 for deer. The 270 is really best suited for large game like elk, mountain goats, sheep, and even moose, and thin skinned dangerous game like black bears. Now, you can call it over kill and tell me that I can just as easily use my 243- but I don’t care- I’ve never made a deer suffer and never will.

Mercator likes this.
  5. Double20

Double20 Active Member

Ok, I'll give you that .308 and 7.62x39 aren't the same type of cartridge although I could argue it based on M-14 vs AK-47 but I'll concede since the M-14 isn't used much anymore. I notice that you didn't address 6.8 SPC vs 7.62x39. The 6.8 SPC was designed for a replacement for the 5.56 to address it's shortcomings. So it is definitely the same type of cartridge as 7.62x39. Performance wise (velocity, energy, trajectory), the 6.8 SPC is better than the 7.62x39. Yes, the 7.62x39 ammo is more common but an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC will have the ability to easier mount optics and be more accurate at longer ranges than the AK-47 which goes back to the point that Mercator made that you responded to.

towboater and Mercator like this.
  6. BullMoose429

That is true- but these cartridges do not lend themselves to taking game at longer distances. A 270 will outperform 6.8 SPC by an order of magnitude- especially in long range.

towboater likes this.
  7. Double20

Double20 Active Member

Your original argument for the 7.62x39 was that it was a do it all rifle up to deer sized game and that the AR was not due to being .223. I proposed the 6.8 SPC AR to not only level the playing field but surpass the 7.62x39 as a do it all rifle up to deer sized game and now you are bringing up the .270. I was addressing your comment on the AR vs AK not anything to do with the second rifle for larger game.

8. BullMoose429

I will give you that the 6.8 spc is probably a better cartridge than 7.62x39- all I was originally trying to was suggest that eastern bloc firearms are not outdated or useless. Now my ak will never do anything but put holes in paper targets- but to say that the firearm isn’t capable in a survival type situation is absurd.

9. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

D*m me for preferring minute of man at 300yd over moa at 400yd while being lubricated by sand instead of freshly cleaned, dripping with top of the line gun oil.

I could say that 33% of men prefer ford and the others prefer men but I understand to each their own and don’t “hate on” Chevy and dodge guys.

I have a 5.45 ak with a vortex 1x4 in a Midwest industries side mount and a magpul stock that is “fantastically optics friendly”. It shoots about 2moa and there was one time just to prove a point to a buddy I took an empty 22lr cardboard box and put it under the recoil spring and the gun ran. I built it just to shut up ar guys...

Built my first ar 20 years into the hobby and it’s a .30 cal piston driven.

But over gassed and clunky is amusing.... guess I need to put a sandbox out back

Oldoutlaw and BullMoose429 like this.
  10. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

THANK YOU

Well said; the only problem I have with this post is that, sadly I can only "like" it once (no matter how many times I click the Like button). I will however more than likely plagiarize it any number of times in the future.

Mercator likes this.
  11. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is what a pictured when you first read his post lol