Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Reload for most of my guns so I'll only feed them good ammo like projectiles, powder and primers am a tad picky for .22 ammo for my BRNO but as for my 22 Lithgow single shot what ever it'll fire and same for my FN Browning pump action .22.
For my Rossi Coach gun on pigs what ever that feeds in the range of SG's,AAA's,SSG's etc as I don't reload but for my Beretta U/O generally the better quality stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I’ll shoot whatever out of most of my guns. The guns that I rely on are tough enough to take any less than top shelf ammo so I’m not worried about them. For hunting and wilderness carry though- I am particular about the brands I use- Federal Premium and Underwood Ammo. For home defense I just make sure I have a cartridge that cycles well and won’t over penetrate- I use Federal Premium 165 grain JHP in 45 acp

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Are you an ammo snob? I’ll shoot about any brand, dirty or clean shooting, as long as it cycles in my semi autos I’m fine with it, I also clean my guns after every trip to the range
I have to admit..im kind of a slacker when it comes to the cleaning. But being able to shoot at home, the range, and Tues night trap shooting with my Dad, Fast 15 when i can go, i would be cleaning all the time..and im a messy cleaner..somehow i end up with more CLP on me and the bench than on the guns...lol. So i just pick a day, make a pot of coffee, turn on the news down in the basement, and spend a few hrs cleaning everything i have shot in the last couple weeks. There are a few xceptions, like my Dads old 3 screw Ruger, i clean it right away.

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have to admit..im kind of a slacker when it comes to the cleaning. But being able to shoot at home, the range, and Tues night trap shooting with my Dad, Fast 15 when i can go, i would be cleaning all the time..and im a messy cleaner..somehow i end up with more CLP on me and the bench than on the guns...lol. So i just pick a day, make a pot of coffee, turn on the news down in the basement, and spend a few hrs cleaning everything i have shot in the last couple weeks. There are a few xceptions, like my Dads old 3 screw Ruger, i clean it right away.
Yeah, I’ve gotten a little lazy the past couple years, I’m at the range right now, when I get home I’ll clean just because I have time but there is times I’ll wait a couple days or so

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Yeah, I’ve gotten a little lazy the past couple years, I’m at the range right now, when I get home I’ll clean just because I have time but there is times I’ll wait a couple days or so
Have fun...I was at the outdoor range for a while today with a couple friends from work...:D.
Green Wood Plant Grass Groundcover
Wood Plant Outdoor furniture Grass Gas

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Cindy,

Put the CLP on the patches and clean the parts that way. Put the patch up to the nozzle of the can, squirt out a drop, wipe the parts down, and use a few separate patches and a pull-through or a used wooden chop stick for a handgun barrel (you may have to ball up the patch if it's a larger caliber weapon) for the bore. I use 2 to 5 patches on the entire gun, about as many squirts of CLP, and a plastic pick or toothpick to clean crevices with, even if I fire 600 rounds through the gun in one range session. If the gun is still hot or at least warm when you clean it, then it's even easier to clean. Use a plastic grocery bag to lay the parts on so you can throw it away when you're done, or an old plastic cutting mat / board (that you will never use to cut food on again) if you don't have plastic bags. I've never made a mess using this method. Keep a napkin to wipe off your fingertips, but you should only have CLP on your fingertips, the patches, the gun, and the napkin if you do this.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Most of my firearms are either .22LR, 5.56, or 9mm. I have a few other single calibers that I don't shoot a lot of ammo through, so I don't stock more than about 300 rounds for each weapon, with the exception of my .30CAL Carbine. I found what works very well (after trying several different brands) and settled on PPU: a combo of FMJ and soft point, over 1K rounds. I don't shoot it much, so that should last a long time.

For my .22LRs, I find what works reliably in all my semi-auto .22s, and that is CCI Mini-Mags - either HP or round-nose. I stack deep with that.

For .223, I stack PMC Bronze high, with another 1K of PPU M193. All but one of my firearms in that caliber can handle either .223 or 5.56. My bolt gun is .223 only. Again, I tried out several different brands and settled on these two.

So, not a snob, but try out several brands/loads and settled in on what works well, then stack deep.

As far as cleaning after firing, each and every time. But I have - in some cases - forego a full field disassembly and focus on the barrel, chamber, and bolt-face.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,686 Posts
For my .22LRs, I find what works reliably in all my semi-auto .22s, and that is CCI Mini-Mags - either HP or round-nose. I stack deep with that.
Same with me. Just bought recently 3000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags from Target Sports. First 1000 rounds in 500rd bricks was only $.08 per round
on 8/21. Then it sold out in about 2 hours.

Then on 9/6 more came in. Ordered 2000 more rounds. But, it was $.11 per round. Both orders were DELIVERED to me prices. But they do keep getting in their 500rd bricks. These bricks are run for Target Sports only.
I belong to their AMMO PRIME so I get pretty decent discount price over what regular web page shows. Plus, I can order even 1 box of any caliber/quantity and always get Free shipping. Ammo Prime costs $95.00 per year. I have more than got that back in the last 90 days! :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The only ammo I’m a snob about is Winchester. I avoid it because I’ve had so many failure to feeds in my Saiga 12 and s&w bodyguard. Had a mountain of primers seated sideways in 40s&w/duds during the sandy hook craze. Federal is the same price and runs 100% in everything I own.

Heard horror stories about tulammo so I try to stick to Barnaul made steel cased stuff but neither has yet to hang up my com block stuff.

I reload for everything that’s not steel/plastic cased.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't know if this is considered being a snob or not but I do avoid all steel cased ammo. Any brass cased ammo is fair game though. I usually try to stick to Federal, Winchester (except Universal shotgun shells), and Remington although I have some Magtech, Fiocchi, and Sellier and Belliot (sp?) ammo on the shelf right now as well. I do reload for some calibers so I shoot brass case factory ammo to replenish my brass supply for reloading.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's real hard to be an ammo snob in today's ammo climate.
Oh, I don't know about that.

Just last week a work acquaintance (not a friend per se),,,
Was complaining about not being able to find any .22 for his son to shoot.

I'm sitting on a very large stash of rimfire ammo,,,
So I offered to sell him a 500 round bulk pack of Remington Golden Bullets,,,
This is stuff I've had since the Obama Drought and offered them to him for $16.95 (what I paid for them back then).

His reply was: "Golden Bullets?,,, That stuff is crap!,,, I wouldn't give you $10.00 for them."

This is during an ammo drought that could be as bad as the Obama Drought,,,
I was sorta stunned by his response but held my calm very nicely.

He also said: "If you have any ammo worth having I'll take some."

My reply was:
Sure, I have some CCI SV, Mini-Mags, and Federal Auto-Match,,,
I want $25.00 per hundred rounds for them.

He got the message and walked away,,,
It might have had something to do with my "tone of voice".

But to get back to the point of this post,,,
I found that some people find it easy to be ammo snobs in this ammo climate.

Go figure,,,

Aarond

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
The only ammo I’m a snob about is Winchester. I avoid it because I’ve had so many failure to feeds in my Saiga 12 and s&w bodyguard. Had a mountain of primers seated sideways in 40s&w/duds during the sandy hook craze. Federal is the same price and runs 100% in everything I own.

Heard horror stories about tulammo so I try to stick to Barnaul made steel cased stuff but neither has yet to hang up my com block stuff.

I reload for everything that’s not steel/plastic cased.
Com bloc guns will shoot anything because they are over gassed. Conscripts and sandbox dwellers don’t have a choice, but it amuses me to no end how American armed citizens put their own money in the noisy, clunky, optic unfriendly, bullseye averse, outdated and outclassed firearms.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts