Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Supporting Member
13,505 Posts
Rifling
I always clean my guns after every use. At least within a day afterward!
If we have been shooting all day or late in the evening they might have to wait until the next day. Of course if it rains or is damp there is no delay no matter what time it is!
I guess you could call me an ammo snob. For sure I am guilty of ammo storage! Because over the years I have been saving ammo as well as shooting it in order to be prepared for the worst. I presently have ammo for every gun I have and have Dies, Primers, Powder, Cases to reload anytime I need to do so as a back up.
If nothing else should something happen to me my Wife will be able to make it financially probably from ammo and gun sales alone. Of course that is after the Kids and family have received their appointed inheritance.
So worth the effort of being a snob with stored ammo and prepared for anything.:)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I roll my own ammo and I am very picky with the components I use so the only ammo I buy is 22lr and only certain brands because my 10/22 Deluxe is also picky...:D

As far as cleaning after a range session I clean all hand guns within a day or two. My AR’s are considered hippies cuz they don’t like baths too often and work fine with a bolt freshening and a patch run through the bore once in a while. ;)

·
Banned
1,796 Posts
my mantra has always been; buy it cheap stack it deep.... if that means buying TULA, WOLF etc,,, or any brand of ammo that people says is dirty to shoot, but is less then WINCHESTER etc.. I buy it.

if it goes BANG, feeds, cycle just like the higher price ammo........it goes in my basement. I'll leave the more pricey ammo for the rest of you :D

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
None of my handguns or rifles is picky so I run the cheapest thing I can find.
Steel case, brass, aluminum, doesn't matter as far as stocking up goes.

I have a separate stash of SD ammo, though if that ran out the FMJ would work fine.
I clean my edc s about every two weeks shot or not. Mostly amounts to just relubing.
The rifles I clean whenever i feel they need it.
I havent punched a bore in almost a year on anything.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Are you an ammo snob? I’ll shoot about any brand, dirty or clean shooting, as long as it cycles in my semi autos I’m fine with it...
Not a snob, no.

But I demand it work flawlessly. Or, at least as error-free as ammo can get. Which likely means particular types of ammo will tend to work best in a given sidearm, given the overall design, and given any manufacturing tolerances in the specific gun.

With sidearms, over the years, learning about different makes/models, I've generally spent what some might think an inordinate amount of time evaluating various ammo in a given gun. Turns out, at least in my experience, that quite often certain ammo clearly shows it performs better and more reliably in a given sidearm.

In rifles, I've not noticed such issues, at least not to the same degree. Once the gun breaks in, it's more or less been error-free with most ammo I've tried.

Generally speaking, if the ammo's reliably similar from box to box, with good and tight bullet seating and quality primers, I rarely have issues anymore.

In the H&K P30 9mm, it swallows most everything. So, for practice I run a range of fairly inexpensive stuff through it. I would guess (though it's only a guess) that it's a bit less exacting in the shape of the chamber and has a bit looser tolerances. Once the CZ P-01s broke in, during the first couple thousand rounds, certain ammo would be noticeably less reliable, while some ammo would run flawlessly.

About the only ammo I've ever had that seems to work well in anything:

DoubleTap 9mm 124gr JHP +P
Federal Hydrashok Tactical 9mm JHP 124gr +P+
Winchester "white box" 9mm 124gr FMJ

For defensive sidearms, it's always the JHP "good stuff" ... so long as it's proven reliable and flawless in my defensive guns.

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
The only thing I'm picky about is SD ammo. I just acquired an older S&W model 12 and I had an old box of Federal Nyclads left for just such a find. I'll carry it on special occasions or days I yearn for the good ole days.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm not a snob but when I was buying factory ammo I tried to buy quality and get the best bang for the buck. When buying reloading components I do the same. I'm very careful about buying bargain basement stuff.

·
Supporting Member
13,505 Posts
As mentioned. I have ammunition to shoot that may very. Like FMJ and the like. But for my precision shooting and self defense ammunition I do not skimp on it. For example best performance requires best ammunition and the Load and
Lot # makes a difference.
Example I use Federal Premium Gold Medal Match for my precision rifles. Hornady Critical Defence for my personal defense Pistols and the Remington AccuTip for my 7mm Rem Mag. Hunting Rifle which will shoot sub 1/2 MOA 3 Shot Groups with it at 100 yards. With the AccuTip and fantastic for Factory Ammunition! Measured at .417. It is Zeroed for 200 yards. = 1.3 inches high at 100 Yards.
Precision sports Recreation Indoor games and sports Circle Sports

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,727 Posts
Well, I use most any ammo I think will perform properly in all calibers.

The only ammo I do not buy and stay away from is?
Any brand that Rifling recommends to me.
Font Magenta Eyelash Art Circle

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I suppose I am. I load all my own ammo excluding rimfire and shotgun. I am picky about performance, reliability and accuracy. However, when I buy a new handgun, I always take the time to shoot a variety of off the shelf ammo through the gun during break in. This is regarding mostly just semi’s not revolvers, though I feed revolvers a variety at first too. I want to test the gun with all sorts of ammo to see how it performs with cheap target and expensive SD. My rifles seldom ever get any factory ammo.
I am particular about my reloading components and very particular about my own procedures and final product.

Oh yeah, I clean my guns after every outing too.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
The only thing im picky about is shotgun shells, no Winchester Universals. Ive never had a gun that extracted them well
I've had fairly hotly-loaded Sellier & Bellot 12ga get finicky with cycling, too. Nice stout loads, but never did function reliably well in a Remington 870P 12ga short bbl, nor a Remington 1100P 12ga for that matter. Have shot probably a dozen different cartridges in both of those shotguns, without issue ... except for the occasional S&B. Always figured it was a bit "soft" (variable) on the tolerances for the case sizing, such that some rounds would stick while others would function fine.

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So is buying trusted, quality, ammo instead of the cheapest ammo available being an ammo snob? I've never attempted to buy the cheapest ammo I could find to shoot in guns that were not the cheapest I could buy...........YMMV
Just an expression really... when I posted it I was thinking about when I really started getting into handguns, I had people tell me to “never shoot Winchester white box, it’s dirty” or Remington green and white box is weak etc, I’ve learned just for my target shooting, paper and steel etc, as long as it will go bang and is accurate in my semi auto or revolver I’m good. I do reload but with two kids and other things I have to get done there’s not a ton of time

·
Banned
13,221 Posts
I buy cheap and stack deep. Tula and Wolf are my friends.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts