Ammo Shortage

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ksgunnut, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ksgunnut

ksgunnut New Member

Talk to me about this ammo shortage! .22cal in particular, cant find it anywhere!

2. Redman98150

Redman98150 New Member

Find out when you local Wally World gets their ammo in and be there waiting. Picked up .22 and .223 the other day. Same prices they were in Nov.

3. Kai

Kai New Member

My local Ganders has nothing on their shelves. Even the costlier "choot em" bulk boxes of CCI mini's are gone. The shelf looked like the milk and bread shelves prior to a big storm hehehe.

4. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I thought my wal-mart had .22 the other day.

should I buy some and ship it to you? you reimburse me for cost plus shipping, and I'll do it.

5. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

This is the ticket...my local WalMart sat out a whole bunch of American Eagle .223 yesterday. They get their delivery in at night and if its a 24 hour store...put your britches on early (4am) and get down there. The manager at my store said they're putting out some small amounts each night now.;)

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

We've talked 'n talked about it-
    Ride it out -----

7. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Like Kai said, the local Wally's in my area look like the milk & bread aisle before a hurricane. Last week one had 4 boxes of 50 CCI 22s, one box of .40s and about 4 boxed of .45 ACP. Plus some shotgun shells.

An LGS says he is not even being offered any and another LGS will only sell it's ammo for it's range use.

People have to be hoarding, and that cannot go on forever.

8. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

I've got 2 walmarts within 8 miles of my house, plus another a little farther out (we don't have city water or gas where I live, but we sure have a lot of big box stores!) and last shortage I used to call every morning on my way to work to see what ammo they had in stock. If they had what I needed then I'd just swing by. if not, I'd sometimes check on the way home. Now that I work from home, it's even easier.

The hoarders will eventually run out of space to store their ammo and supplies will return to normal... but that could be a long time. Only recently was ammo back to normalish pricing and availability from the last panic.

Ever since my dad Kaboomed my M&P45c with one of his bad reloads, I've been holding off on reloading -- though I still collect brass and have my components. I'll do it again, but I still have 9mm to shoot for now (which is all I reload). That said, I still say everyone should have a basic reloading press. Just don't jump into a progressive press as your first one. :D

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Pretty much everything is in short supply. The panic is in full swing. It will settle out.

10. cottontop

cottontop Guest

That's one reason I'm glad I reload for mostly "odd ball" cartridges. No shortage for me.
    CT

11. kingrider

kingrider New Member

I think things are already starting to settle down around here. I was in my local cabelas the other day and their were a few boxes of 22 cal. Hornady and sierras on the shelf. Also had plenty of 30 cal. Bullets. Powders and primers are still hit and miss but things are already much better than they were a couple weeks ago.

12. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Offgridsurvival had a news clip on ammo shortage.

Bass Pro is Back-ordered at least 4 months on .22lr and 12 months on 9mm.

Cabelas is not listing .223/5.56 ammo, either they are stop selling or the supply is gone.

I am hearing from local gun shop that just opened a few months before the election. That the information from the Shot Show in Vegas, a one year's supply of AR15's was sold in six weeks.

All sellers of Ammo have to go thru they're distributors for ammo. Ammo log jam 6 months to a year. :eek:

I am seeing in my area 30-06 220 gr, 180 gr, 165 gr or 150 gr is gone!

Not sure how true; but, another site was discussing the ammo shortage and stated that Wideners got 14.4 Million rounds of 5.56 ammo and in 1 day it was all gone.

13. longunner

longunner New Member

What about reloading supplies? You guys seen any changes in prices/availability?

14. assualtready070

assualtready070 New Member

Ya why is 22 in particular out I've never seen 22lr sold out in every local gun store around my area why all the sudden is 22 caliber bullets sold out

15. Bigcountry02

Changes are in both price and availability. Small LGS are raising the prices on what stock they have (Supply and Demand), the big stores have not increased the prices; but, have limited the availability, i.e. Sportsman's Warehouse - 3 box limit, except the shotgun ammo. Reloading supplies are very limited to none, based on your popular cailber(s). Shelves are bare!

16. therhino

therhino New Member

I think it's because everyone owns one, and because it's the most common plinking round. If everyone in a 100 mile radius owns a .22, and every one of those people freaks out and starts buying more than they ususally do to hoard, someone's getting left out ;).

My aunt was up here on Saturday and asked me if the local Cabela's had .22 in stock, because down where she and my uncle live, there's none to be found. I told her I could have sworn I saw several displays of it the last time I was in. Dunno if she found any.

17. indy36

indy36 New Member

Drove an hour east of the office for a client visit. There was a Meijer there so I went in. Here is there ammo cabinet.

image-2877443320.jpg

They did have about 6 boxes of 7.62x39...if you like paying that much for 20 rounds. I walked away.

image-2628257726.jpg

18. Bigcountry02

Those 6 boxes in my area would have been gone in a heartbeat. Most of the Walmarts, local LGS, Dick's, Sports Authority, Sportsman's Warehouse shelves are the same way.

19. indy36

indy36 New Member

Scored some ammo today. Two boxes of 9mm, one box of .38 Super, one box of 30-30, and two boxes of .22LR.

image-4196115749.jpg

20. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

No changes in SW Ohio, primers $30/1000, powder and bullets same as last year. All in good supply.