Ammo shortage?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by biff44, Feb 9, 2009.

1. biff44

biff44 New Member

Wally world, Dicks, Bass Pro in NH and MA all have severe shortages of ammo all of a sudden. Stuff like some stores having NO .45 acp, no .40 SW, a box or two of (insert your favorite ammo).

What is it like in other parts of the country?

With brass and lead comodity prices way down, why isn't the price and availabiity of ammo getting better?

2. Halwg

Halwg New Member

It's like that here in WV, as well. I can't find 357 magnum, or any components to reload it right now. The guy at Wal-Mart told me they haven't had a shipment in since November.

Panic buying!

3. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

Wal Mart has become pretty hit or miss for ammo out here in CA.

At the local gun show a few weeks back one of the vendors (Miwall I think) told us they expected to sell $1M worth of ammo that weekend. All the ammo booths were packed 2 deep most of the day.

Crazy.

4. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I can't find .38 or .357 or even .22 anywhere. I see plenty of .40 S&W. Sportsman's Warehouse is out, WalMart is out, Bass Pro is out and I haven't been to a gun show for three months so I don't know how much is available there. A friend told me a WalMart employee said they don't expect much of anything for the next few weeks.

Something's going on here. Maybe we'll find all the ammo has serial numbers on it when the shelves are full again. :confused:

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My walmart has nothing on the shelf except for 20ga buckshot. I bought the last 600 rounds of Remington target 22lr. 3 boxes of stingers and one brick of thunderbolt. They did have some minimags about 1500 of them.

6. divinginn

divinginn New Member

Shortages here in georgia too,could not find a brick of 22s at walmart,just 100 packs of cci,out of 45 ammo too.

7. biff44

biff44 New Member

Well hot d*mn, what is going on here? I do not want to sound paranoid, but some sort of Obama thing going on?

8. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I'd wager you are correct, sir!!!

9. biff44

biff44 New Member

microstamping a done deal?

10. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Here in Texas, just outside of Houston, I have had trouble finding .45 colt, and .223. I can understand the 223 being short, I figured lots of people were stocking up before the election. Well the election is over and there is still a shortage. The only place I have been able to find ammo in all of the usual calibers is at Gander Mountian, but they are always at least 10-20% higher on price. WalMart and Academy told me they have ammo on order, but nothing seems to be comming in. Heck I have been buying all that I can afford to buy, when I see it on the shelf.

11. biff44

biff44 New Member

Arrghh! I had to go to around 6 places to find a case of .45 acp. I guess the shortage really IS real, and IS country-wide. Curious as the the reason. An optimist might say that lead and brass prices were so high 6 months ago that the ammo companies were hard pressed to manufacture and keep the prices to a reasonable level, so they just stopped producing and laid off employees. Now that comodity prices have dropped by 50%, and people are searching under rocks to find some ammo, maybe they will start producing again. I sure hope so. I also sure hope it is not a sign of the future! If anyone knows an ammo manufacturer that is lowering his prices and pumping out cartridges, post it here.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Supply and demand. The cost of the supplies may be down, but the demand is WAY up. Many hundreds of thousands of people are panic buying anything and everything.

Components are practically non-existant. I cannot find .308 diameter 165 gr bullets anywhere. My local Sportsmans Warehouse is pretty bare of ammo and components. At least I cast my own bullets, but I can't find powder to launch them.

13. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I found four, count 'em, four bricks of Winchester Dynapoint .22 at KMart today!!!!

They were $29.99 a box... :eek:

14. Toxinx

Toxinx New Member

its like that out here in Phoenix AZ as well iv been two 3 different walmarts a cabbellas and a sportsmans and been calling around and they are out of amost everthing the shelves are so empty its crazy and alot of the ammo people have all ready ordered on back stock. i couldnt find any 45. gap ammo at all no 7.62 x 39 i did find 2 boxes of 9mm ammo but out off all of those stores thats all i found its crazy. apparently everyone is freaking out and buying a ton of ammo. IF ANY 1 KNOWS WERE I CAN GET SOME 7.62 X 39 ONLINE OR POSSIBLE IN PHX LET ME KNOW PLEASE

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  15. Shingles44

Shingles44 New Member

All the stores in CO (Sportsman's, Gander, Wally, Dick's, etc...) have had bare shelves for quite some time. Went to Sportsman's last night and they had just received a large shipment of most calibers. The place was a madhouse. Hopefully there will be more lead on the shelves across the country soon.

16. rodgernwithad

rodgernwithad New Member

nothing here in az

if your able to find ammo here (38 spl, 9mm, 9x18 mak, even 22) in az it costs enough to send your kids to college. i even asked my uncle in mo who knows more about reloading than speer, if he knew what the shortage is all about, even reloading components are short, and if he doesnt know whats going on the rest of us "militia" wont know either. will keep checking in with you guys. God blessed the usa years ago with the 2nd ammendment.

rodgernwithad

17. hudd357mag

hudd357mag New Member

I have noticed sporadic jumps in price all of a sudden. Cabelas was out of 7.62 by 39 ammo tonight so I went on the website and ordered it just to guarantee the price. They wouldnt do it in the store. That tells me they are having a price increase soon.

18. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I was in Sportman's Warehouse Friday night in Albuquerque - I almost lost it - boxes and boxes of .223 HSM :eek: I only picked 3; to shot this weekend. They did have a good stock for rifle ammo - pistol was good for target 44 / 45 and 40. Some of the local mom and pop have good selection at 3 to 4 dollar more a box. If I see 9mm / 357 / 38 in blazer, I do not think twice - I BUY IT!:D

19. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've had a hard time finding any CCI which is the only 22 LR I shoot anymore so when I saw it it Gander Mountain I blew thru a gift card and stocked up on everything including stingers and velocitors. I've been lucky and stayed pretty well stocked on everything else and when I see them, which is rare, I grab a couple boxes. Ammo is definatly on short supply here in NC as well.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I talked to the guys at Georgia Arms this week.
    They are running two 12 hr shifts seven days a week and still can't keep up with shipments!
    They see no slowdown and seem quite happy with this last election.
    I think that's rather short sighted!
    [​IMG]