Ammo shortage

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Malvin, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Malvin

Malvin New Member

Prices for ammo have gone through the roof. So if the Ammo Companies ever catch up and dealers restock the shelves will the prices go down? I don't think so. What do you think? Malvin

2. tireless

tireless New Member

The prices have already came down from where the were in my area. I also see internet vendor prices falling.

That being said, prices never seem to go back to where they were and stay there for very long. They may go to previous prices after runs on supply but generally tend to level out a bit higher in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

There is virtually no scenario I can envision that will bring ammo down to pre-shortage prices.

That being said, nothing is as cheap as it used to be except computers and their components.

4. argie1891

argie1891 New Member

I had a table at the Yakima wa. gun show this weekend, just for grins and giggles I took a brick of federal champion 22 ammo. I was embarrassed to put a price on it. so one guy asked me how much it was. I answered what will you pay for it. his answer was 15 bucks a box.. after my heart started beating I sold him 3 boxes for 40 bucks. and yes I felt like a thief. he named his poison I could never have charged that much. argie1891

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Santa Clause isn't bringing you anything. :p

6. WNGMSTR

WNGMSTR Troll Scout

Supply and demand.:D

One thing is for certain, the politics of this nation has affected the firearms and ammunition trade. Maybe not to their immediate satisfaction but neither to ours down the road.

7. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Prices are coming down and ammo hitting the shelves here in Wisconsin. They dont stay on the shelf long but they are being stocked more often now.

8. argie1891

argie1891 New Member

one thing that surprises me is that local gun store had ely ammo for 11 to 17 per box depending on weather it was match or practice and no one bought it. why pay 15 for junk ammo and leave the good stuff on the shelf??

9. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I went though some 7.62x39 yesterday and found several Nornico boxes with the price tag on them from 1995. It was $7.99 for 20. That is the same price we are paying today in my area. Had a few 50 round boxes of .22 in there as well. I think $1.99 for Winchester.

10. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Because most 22 ammo is used for blasting in Semi-autos by people who can't hit a barn door. Eley is not reliable in many semi-autos.
    I was taught to make every round count. I can't believe how much 22 has been wasted over the last several years.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I dont think your going to see prices fall . The previous scare market has set it up for higher prices. I know all the vendors sent out letters stating a 3% -7% price increase last fall . Some stuff is back to what I would call normal pricing like AK ammo for $5.00 a box and brass .223 for $7 a box , Its never going to be "cheap" again

12. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Our local Wal-Mart has lots of Wolf 7.62X39 for $5.19 per 20 round box.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Ours has tula for $5.29 but I don't think we will ever see $0.12 a round ever again

14. rachilders

rachilders New Member

The prices began going down and supply going up here in E. Texas last summer and aside from a few calibers, there now seems to be plenty to go around. The same with AR style guns. By last fall, things were pretty much back to normal. Still, you'll have a tuff row to hoe if you want certain "in demand" calibers like the 300 AAC and certain brands in calibers like .22lr. I have a 300 Blackout and while ammo is available, the supply and choice of bullet style/weight is very limited.

15. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I just bought a few 50 rounds boxes of .38spl at my local sports store here in MI for $17.99 a box, and I also ordered 500 rounds of .38spl from freedom munitions for $170 after shipping so the price there is about the same as in there store. NO .22 though, never-anywhere, no where I have been in MI has .22 and hasn't for a year.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

If I thought I had to pay $15 for a box of 50 Federal 22's, I'd get rid of the gun. Fortunately, I'm not super fond of 22 LR, and have enough to shoot the 1 1/2 that I have for several years. I say 1 1/2 because one of them is the Ruger Single Six with the LR/mag cylinders, and I like the mags better.

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

It's around in the LGS's and Pawn/Gun shop here,..just no Bricks..my Pawn guy is about the best price right now...Ammoseek and their listed vendors are insane ,..I've seen Thunderbolts go for close to $100 for a 500 brick...I'm not buying them any more as they gave me enough failures for a years worth of all the other 22 ammo on the shelves....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

18. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Prices for 1000 round cases of 7.62x39 range $209-$229 online. Wal-Mart does not have good prices for 7.62 and 5.56 ammo.

Prices have fallen to pre-panic and below on 7.62x39. You are definitely looking in the wrong place.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  19. string1946

string1946 New Member

A guy I know called me last week and said he had a 22lr rifle he had since he was a kid and wanted to give it to his son but he couldn't find any ammo. He knew I have a sizeable stash and asked if I would sell him a brick. Normally my stuff isn't for sale but for his kid I sold him a 550 rd. box of Federal plated hp's for what I paided for it. $10. Hopefully the young man will be another firearm enthusiast.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Good man,..You have a good heart....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk