Ammo shelf life

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bostonscottkelly, Nov 10, 2012.

1. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Anybody help with the average shelf life for ammo & proper storing techniques? Thanks much.

2. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

3. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

4. vincent

vincent New Member

^^^Perfect answers^^^

$10 bucks a piece at a military surplus store, check for a good seal (dry rot).

I kept a couple of ammo trays in various calibers for transport to the range...those cans get heavy when they're full...:eek: (nice problem to have...)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  5. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

Throw a desicant pack in your storage container too.

6. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

7. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I've had a few boxes of M1 carbine .30 cal ammunition and .38 special ammunition left in large plastic storage box since 1971 that I found six years ago. All of it shot just fine. A couple of .30 cal. carbine 20 round magazines were loaded in there for all those years and the ammunition as well as the magazines worked fine too. This box had alot of other unrelated stuff in it and moved with me over half the state over the years. Mostly this box of stuff with the ammunition in it was stored in a garage up in the rafters of the houses where ever I lived.

9. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

If the ammo boxes have real rubber seals, I would suggest using RV rubber seal conditioner (1) if anything.

Petroleum is not not friendly to real rubber.
    rubber is damaged by aging, sunlight, oil, and perspiration. (2)

[​IMG]

Footnotes
    1 This link is from camping world, not because I like them, but because they are nationwide.
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/slide-out-rubber-seal-conditioner/21224

2 While rubber is still used in textile manufacturing, its low tenacity limits its use in lightweight garments because latex lacks resistance to oxidizing agents and is damaged by aging, sunlight, oil, and perspiration. from Wikpedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_rubber#Textile_applications

10. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Kept in a cool dry dark place in an airtight storage box such as a ammo can & it will last a long, long time.................

12. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I socked ammo away in college, then shot it over 20 years later with no unforseen results.

Much ammo from WWII is still routinely fired today. If it was quality ammo then, kept properly, it is still quality ammo.

14. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Ammo is hard to kill. Store it most anywhere and it will work for many many years.

15. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Anybody know about any unforeseen results by vacuum packing ammo. Either in the box or individually.

16. savvyinky

savvyinky New Member

I used up some WWII ammo very recently with no issues. It has always been kept in the original packaging (cardboard) and left in the safe.

17. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I don't know why you would but go ahead and vacuum pack it. you can even shoot it in a vacuum as it makes its own oxygen.

18. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I had 5 boxes of 9mm Blazer CCI 115 gr at my family house while I was overseas in Germany for 5 years. They finally got fired in 2008.