Ammo selection

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Gixxer, May 12, 2012.

1. Gixxer

Gixxer New Member

Hello
    I'm new to the forum and new to ar's. What im trying to figure out is what ammo should I shoot in my new gun it has a spikes st-fn 16in with 1 in 7 twist, BCM BCG, and st2 buffer. I would appreciate any opinions on choice
    Thanks
    And sorry if I posted this in the wrong section

2. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Since you have a 1:7 twist I wouldn't go much lighter than 55gr bullets. With such a fast twist you will get more stabilization using heavier grain bullets. You will just have to try a few different rounds and see what works best in your rifle. Just make sure what you're shooting matches what the gun is chambered for and you shouldn't have any issues.

Last edited: May 12, 2012

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Gixxer,

The 1 in 7 will in all probability like ammunition around the 62-69+ grain area for max accuracy. Although it will also shoot the 55s OK but you will probably not get max accuracy with the lighter bullets due to the faster twist. To check out their max accuracy I would suggest Federal Gold Medal or Black Hills BT HP Match. For just shooting and still with accuracy you might look at American Eagle or Winchester White Box. Both are FMJs.

4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

OP, did you purchase the rifle so you can strap it to a bench and shoot groups? I'm guessing not since it's a 16" hammer forged barreled AR. Get a couple 20rd. boxes of Wolf or Tula 55 or 62 grain FMJ and see how it goes. The barrel/chamber should be w/i spec and able to run it. Just lube it w/ a quality product. The Spikes ST-T2 buffer may be a little heavy for the .223 steel cased but a carbine buffer is cheap and readily available.

5. Gixxer

Gixxer New Member

Thanks for the input I will for sure try all that was suggested. Also I didn't really build the gun for anything specific I just wanted one and thought it would be fun to build.