Ammo Rotation

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by danf_fl, Jan 26, 2011.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have never had any problems with factory ammo until today.

WW, white box, a couple of years old. Kept in mags as a backup.

Went to range, out of 24 rounds I had 2 squib rounds where bullet did not exit barrel, 5 hang fires (like shooting black powder).

I do not remember having these problems from the same ammo before.

Again, this was a couple of years old I had in a firearm I trusted as a backup.

Rotate Ammo!

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I don't think the ammo being 2 years old was the problem. If it was I don't think 50 year old surplus ammo would work. So much for factory ammo being more reliable than reloads. :D

3. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

The only ammo I rotate is my carry stuff. I usually use golden sabers; one mag for the weapon and and two backups. I rotate them every spring and I look forward to popping off 30-40 rounds of good ammo.

After a year of sever temp changes, rain and dirt ive never had a misfire. Now my range ammo, I buy it on the cheap, throw it loose in an ammo box and use from it. Some of it has to be 5-6 years old and I've not had any problems.

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Dan, if you still have the boxes, send them to Winchester and explain what happened, they might send you some replacements.

5. danf_fl

The rounds were left over from a range session. Rarely would I have a box that old.

If I would have had problems with the ammo then, I don't think I would have used them for my backup.

I am not slamming WW for the ammo. Just saying what happened to me.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I rotate my carry ammo from what I've been carrying to what I've got stored which is no more then 2 years old. My range and hunting ammo is a different story. It all gets stored in an air tight ammo cans with a couple of dry packs in each box and they're downstairs where it's always cool and dark. I've never had a problem and some of that stuff is every bit of 10-15 years old.

Sorry for the bad experience dan.

7. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Is it possible that they may have got wet. and are you sure they were factory loaded ?
    Factory ammo is usually sealed, but there can be some that the sealing is not perfect.
    If they were rounds given to you to use at the range, it's highly possible they were reloads.
    I've never had a problem with factory or reloads stored properly firing after years of storage.

As others have said, rotating ammo in a carry gun is a very good idea, besides, new and better ammo comes out all the time. The new Hornady self defense ammo with the rubber type plug in the hollow point is supposed to go through thick clothing and still open up when it gets to the person.
    God stuff. So new ammo once a year in a carry gun just makes good sense for many reasons.
    You can buy a bottle of ammo sealer for about $12.00. If you carry where your firearm may get wet, it may be a good idea to add a little extra sealer to you rounds. I used to do that in the later years on my duty rounds just to insure there were no problems as at times my firearm would get rained on during a shift.

John K

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  8. danf_fl

No, they did not get wet, but in Florida, there is high humidity (though I try to take care of my firearms, I have too much invested).