Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently came across a box of 7.62x54r, in a can, belted. The can is painted green (duh) with red letters that read 88-56.

I'm assuming but the shape of the can this was for a vehicle mounted PK machine gun.

So I set about the task of stripping them off the belt (these are for M-44 plinking), and notice the brass of every fifth round is brighter than the rest. All of the tips are painted yellow, but the brass is noticably different.

Any thoughts? Tracer?:confused:

·
Banned
414 Posts
I would say tracer is a very good guess. Typically they are every fifth round on the belt fed machine guns like the M-60 and such. Most ranges disallow tracers or incendiary ammo by the way. Tracer rounds are usually identified with red, orange, or yellow paint. If you have a bullet puller, you could find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You can't use standard US/ NATO military ammo tip colors for bullet ID on foreign ammo(re: WARSAW PACT or other non-NATO). Red and orange are tracer rounds by NATO standards..

I believe if your ammo is Russian or Czech then the yellow designates a "heavy" bullet of 180-181 grains which was not a standard "ball" round of 150 grains if I remember (current issue). Does it have a copper washed or thinly plated steel jacket?

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've concluded either it's tracer, or they replaced the tracer with standard ball from a different lot. Head stamps are tiny, so can't make anything out there. A small packing slip in the bottom of the can would help out, if I were a linguist. Doesn't appear to be Russian, but it was a 250 round belt, and the slip states 200 of something and 50 of something else.

Fire some this weekend, let you guys know what I discover.:eek:

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, update, the packing slip is in Hungarian. The part that would be the merchandise description is handwritten, so still can't make that out.

The world of C&R is fascinating.:cool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I too have a can of 7.62x54R yellow tips, they're the heavier 182gr weight from Hungary and have a steel core as opposed to lead. Every fifth round may be AP not tracer, and if its brass and not lacquered its probably Bulgarian heavy ball 182gr steel core.

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fifth round has what appears to be a copper washed case. All rounds attract a magnet, so they may be either steel case or steel core.

The mystey is killing me.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I bet they are steel jacket, lead center with a steel core. I have some Czech 308 that is constructed that way.

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took them out today, not tracer. Didn't do much of anything, maybe a hair more accurate than usual, leads me to think heavy ball.

Fired off some of the non-suspect rounds, did have one case split at the top.

Oh well, still fun plinking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts