Ammo question...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Mason609, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

Well, more like clarification....

A friend had me watch some videos of a Taurus Raging Bull .454, and in a few of them by different people, they were calling the rounds they were shooting FMJHP. Now, I know about FMJ and JHP, but are there some Jacketed Hollow Points that have full metal jackets?

I ask because I really only ever used either JHP or FMJ, and new about a few others. I'm not sure if this is something real, or the guys doing the vids are morons.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Probably shooting Magtech ammo. They load a 454 that they CALL FMJ, and it IS a hollow point, but it is misnamed. It is a solid copper HP round.

To me, solid copper is not FMJ.

3. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

Ok, I was under the impression that there was a significant distinction between FMJ and JHP, being that FMJ was solid, unlike JHP.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

FMJ and HP are mutually exclusive terms. If a company or person is using them together they are pointing out their ignorance.

5. c3shooter

Agree with Robo. FMJ means that the lead core is surrounded by a jacket of gilding metal, usually a copper nickel alloy. Magtech has a pure copper hollowpoint (no lead) so it is not a jacketed bullet. JHP has a jacket on part of the bullet, and a hollow point at front- JSP has partial jacket, soft lead tip exposed.

Sort of like dehydrated water or low salt brine.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

How would you describe expanding FMJ?

7. c3shooter

Could you give an example? :confused: Not ragging you, but only one that comes to mind is the Ballistic tip. (and the exploding bullets)

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

there are some fmj rounds that have a cavity just under jacket where the hollow point would normally be. it looks almost like a standard fmj round. the theory is there is no hollow to clog so expansion happens everytime plus it feeds in all guns even ones that cant feed the ballistic tips. with no plastic insert to deform or pull out.

unfortunately they are underweight rounds. for the 45acp they weigh in at 200 grains with a similar profile as a 230grn fmj. appearence wise they have a flat tip

40sw version:

[​IMG]

im not convinced they got the ooomph to get through 12inches of bone and bad guy. im sticking with 230grain hp or 230grain fmj

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

That's them up there^ Reason I ask, I was told by "a guy" at the LGS that EFMJ gets past the NJ no hollow point rule since technically it's not a hollow point.