Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got another SGAmmo email and the popular kinds of ammo are down substantially from their buck a round highs recently. It just isn't low enough for me to buy new though. I do highly recommend SGAmmo. They definitely give real personal service if anything goes wrong. Had a shipping issue and they went far above and beyond to make it right without me asking so there's my endorsement.

I made the decision to reload my brass from now on and I have a bunch of it factory loaded and bought when it was cheap. I have a lot of it to shoot first but reloading again is in my future. I'd rather bulk buy components than finished ammo. I work cheap for myself 馃檪

Registered
was trying to burn some time yesterday so stopped in at my (somewhat) local Academy, just to see how their ammo supply was coming along (don't really "need" anything) - they had A LOT of different brands of 9mm, a lot of 5.56, a bunch of .45 - out of .380 and they're not getting any .357mag - all of what they had was at "reasonable" prices

and their pistol cases were full of various brands - had been almost empty for quite a while

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
was trying to burn some time yesterday so stopped in at my (somewhat) local Academy, just to see how their ammo supply was coming along (don't really "need" anything) - they had A LOT of different brands of 9mm, a lot of 5.56, a bunch of .45 - out of .380 and they're not getting any .357mag - all of what they had was at "reasonable" prices

and their pistol cases were full of various brands - had been almost empty for quite a while
I predict prices will come down more. Stocked shelves mean there is inventory and people aren't buying like they were. Factories will come off of 24/7 schedules and prices will have to come down to keep inventory moving. That is, unless govt. policy gets stupid again or there is another "event" and people decide they need a larger pile of ammo. I suspect the hoarders are "hoarded out". Just my thoughts on it.

Banned
I'm getting e-mails from Academy regularly trying to sell Blazer 115 grain 9mm aluminum for $14.99 for box of 50.

Banned
That price is a "nope" on that ammo especially.
Oh, I agree with you. I'm not interested until we get below 20 cents a round and brass boolits too.

My firing range guy says actually aluminum is probably OK but they won't let you shoot steel and says that is tough on your gun, but aluminum is OK.

Premium Member
I picked up 4 boxes of CCI Blazer brass case 9 mm 124 gr fmj for $18.99. They had several casses on the shelf.
Well, that's not too shabby; brass cases and 124gr, too. Can't say that I've seen much under $30 per 50ct boxes, this past 18mos.

I still see quantity limits, and in many shops it's still something between $38-50 a box (of 50ct 9mm).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I agree with you. I'm not interested until we get below 20 cents a round and brass boolits too.

My firing range guy says actually aluminum is probably OK but they won't let you shoot steel and says that is tough on your gun, but aluminum is OK.
Unless aluminum is coated, it is actually more abrasive on a chamber than steel. I used to be in the aluminum industry. Brass is king for ammo.

Banned
Well, that's not too shabby; brass cases and 124gr, too. Can't say that I've seen much under $30 per 50ct boxes, this past 18mos.

I still see quantity limits, and in many shops it's still something between $38-50 a box (of 50ct 9mm).
You can go on-line to Academy.com and buy 115 grain 9mm fmj Blazer Brass for $17.99 a box and have it shipped to you. 4 box limit on that too.

Premium Member
They鈥檙e not coated by anything that matters. Aluminum picks up steel bits and crud that damages barrels. Aluminum and steel cartridge aren鈥檛 worth the couple of pennies you save. Plus you can鈥檛 reload aluminum other than a couple people I know that do it.

Registered
Online brass case5.56 m855 62 grain American Eagle $360.00 per 1,000. but $30.00 shipping makes it 39cents per round. Still there the first I'm ordering it and post the link. Can't seem to find it right now :)
On edit:
I WON'T BE ORDERING. THEY WANT BITCOIN

Banned
Went by Academy today and took a look at the aluminum 9mm ammo. It almost feels like it has a thin coat of wax on it or something. Guy that was there from the police department was buying some for his own personal practice ammo and he said his department uses lots of aluminum cased ammo for range practice. Said he had never noticed that it cause any problems other than it was pretty dirty.

They also had 50 round boxes of 9mm Blazer Brass for $17.99....lowest I've seen in a while. They had some .22lr for $12.99/hundred, so I went back over to Walmart and bought some Federal Auto Match .22lr for 5.7 cents a round. Bought another thousand rounds of those.

But, this was at noon today and at least Academy had a pretty good stock of ammo on the shelves. Had .223 and 40cal and several others I don't shoot so didn't really check prices.

Premium Member
Online brass case5.56 m855 62 grain American Eagle $360.00 per 1,000. but $30.00 shipping makes it 39cents per round. Still there the first I'm ordering it and post the link. Can't seem to find it right now :)
On edit:
I WON'T BE ORDERING. THEY WANT BITCOIN
Lots of sketchy operators, out there.

IMO, if they're not a known quantity, haven't been around for at least a handful of years, don't have a raft of glowing reviews from people on numerous gun-related discussion forums, then I'll pass. Particularly if there's difficulty in finding their page displaying their physical address, phone, image of the brick-and-mortar business, which raises alarm bells in my mind. And, as you point out, particularly if an offbeat method of payment is their sole means of payment. Not when his cousin's probably a Nigerian prince ...

Gotta love the web, sometimes. Sometimes not.

Registered
I'm good on brass for the most part, I just want primers to come down and be available, especially some #41's for my 300 Blackout loads. Used some Federal 205's (they are supposed to be a little thicker than other brands, but still not quite as hard as 41's). They do ok on all but the upper end of the load spectrum (I do get some primer flow with the top two powder loads with 125 grain FMJ's).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts