Ammo prices going up 1 May!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Bigcountry02, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Talking with local ammo stores, either guns and ammo or sportings goods. Word they are getting ammo prices are going to climb 20% 1 May 2011.

Not sure what ammo and/or components will raise, depends on the manufacturer.

Has anyone else hearing the same; but, this is from Natchez Shooters Supplies, posted for Federal Ammunition, Winchester Ammunition & Hornady Ammunition:

http://www.natchezss.com/customerService.cfm?contentID=ammoPriceIncreases

ATK Ammunition Brands
    http://www.natchezss.com/images/pdfs/atkpriceincrease.pdf
    http://glarp.atk.com/2010/2010_Catalogs/EstateCatalog.pdf
    - Federal Premium
    - CCI :eek:
    - Speer
    - Fusion
    - Blazer :eek:
    - Estate Cartridge
    Winchester
    http://www.natchezss.com/images/pdfs/WinchesterPriceIncrease.pdf

Hornady
    http://www.natchezss.com/images/pdfs/hornadypriceincrease.pdf

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bigcountry,

From what I have been advised. This is correct! Unfortunately! A friend of mine that is associated with Federal advised me of the increase. I was advised it was due to the upcoming increase in brass price and other components. So there are a few days left to grab some if they have not already raised them like they are manipulating the gas prices!

3. Bigcountry02

Thanks, I also heard that components and complete guns/pistols will be hit to with price increases due to commodities increasing as well. You are right grab them or pay more later!

4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

After checking how much we have in stock, my wife instructed me to buy 20-30 boxes more of both 9mm and .40 cal before the month ends. Of course I agreed (will obey) and will buy some this week. LOL :D

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm be going to drop a couple hundo tomorrow. :mad:

6. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

I reload my own ammo and I am guessing component prices will increase(even though its a "brass" cost increase)

Fact is if ammo goes up 20% and I cant get components I will keep a supply of defensive ammo and stop shooting/cut back significantly.

7. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

There has been a warning message on the Cabelas site for a week or two when you go the the reloading section, IMMINENT Price increase on reloading components . :(

8. Bigcountry02

I think we all will throttle back some or alot if the ammo, reloading and components prices start to crank up in prices.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

What's the opinion on why all this is happening?

10. Bigcountry02

Commodities (the raw components that are required to manufacturer the ammo, weapons, etc.) Gas is another driving factor! I would not be surprise on tax increases.

Look at food as an example both going out to eat and any grocery store!

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Because they can,and there's nothing we can do about it but bitch & moan!

12. Txhillbilly

I just placed a big order,so maybe I'll be stocked up for a while.

13. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Just spent money I wasn't wanting to spend, but got 1250 rounds for my two pistols. I'm glad I was reminded of the May 1 increase through this thread. I wish I could afford more, but this will make a total of 1200 rounds of .45ACP and 1000 rounds of .380. Not nearly enough, but I've only been doing this for a couple months.

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a good amount for handguns fretter. What about long guns? I don't remember what you have.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I rarely disagree with you but I do here.

The price of all metals is thru the roof right now and has been climbing steadily for some time. Let's not forget climbing oil prices and EVERYTHING we own is related to oil in some way. While we did have a little dip in oil prices over the past couple of years they never went back to normal.
    Now we have Mexico sueing gun manufacturers, how long before they go after ammo makers? How many law sutes do they deal with annually now?
    Demand certainly hasn't dropped much, if any, since Obama took office. I know concealled carry is up across the nation and so is the demand for ammo.
    The price of food has gone up which has more people considering hunting to try to save a little, demand for hunting ammo is surely going to increase to corespond with that.

I don't see this as a manufacturer trying to screw us as much as I see a company trying to plan for the future and stay afloat.

I was going to hold off on making a big order for reloading supplies and some ammo but I guess I can't wait much longer.

16. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Unfortunately all I have is a 10-22. Right now I have about 1400 rounds for that. I don't really have another long gun in my future right now. For strictly survival, I expect small game will suffice just fine. I do have my eye on a cross bow for stealth and larger game.

And I think I agree that this is not a gouge thing coming, it's a product of a combination of rising oil prices, metals prices and the general cost of doing business here. Doesn't diminish the need for this thread though.

17. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

This price increase is just an indication of what's to come...sadly, expect all commodities to increase accordingly.

Oil/gas price increase affects EVERYTHING.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  18. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

The sad thing is, if we just even pretend to sink a new well in Alaska it would send tidal waves, not ripples, through OPEC and the price of oil would plummet. But that's another thread. I'm glad I was in a position recently to be able to stock up as well as I could.

19. Txhillbilly

Hey Spitty,I was just being sarcastic to Lon's post.

I think we all know that just about everything is uphill climb price wise.Between the Stock Market,the economy,and all of the crap that is going on all over the globe,prices will do nothing but climb.

Next time,I'll note my sarcasim for you.:rolleyes:

20. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Did any of you guys noticed any actual price increase?

I just noticed this weekend that my local Walmart prices are still the same (no complaints here).