Ammo prices and availability

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by thdrduck, Jan 6, 2013.

1. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Have you checked the prices of ammo? 9mm has doubled if you can even get it. Most places I have checked are out of stock on all but top tier stuff. Hope this isn't here to stay.:confused:

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have been getting good deals on ammo by buying in bulk and waiting. Sometimes the ammo is back ordered for a month. Some ammo suppliers offer outstanding prices while they are out of stock. I try to use a coupon and free shipping on top of the great price. I might have to wait a month but I am getting 124 gr ammo for less than $10 a box. The sportsmans guide has been getting most of my business lately. They usually have the ammo at my house before the back order date and I have done business with them long before anyone was buying anything online. They used to be a mail order catalog business.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

3. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

4. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Thanks Sig, they are all out of stock also.

5. Ara

Ara New Member

I have the same issue.

Can't seem to find ammo anywhere.

I just placed my name on Natchez's waiting list.

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Locally is the same, ammo comes in and is gone the same hour. Once in awhile you get lucky.

7. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

My local Walmart guy gives me a call whenever something is expected on the truck.

He limits me as the store requires, but at least I know what and when, without having to pay falsely inflated prices.

Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know.

8. megamike

megamike New Member

I have to say I'm having very ill if any trouble getting 9mm white box both my local Walmart has plenty at hand for 8-10 a box prob alil mor then Bulk but I don't have to wait and can so it while grocery shopping I hope it stays that way too

9. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

9's and 40's are still there..

It's the .223, 7.62, and even now 12 ga, I wait for.

10. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Went to Wal Mart yesterday to get some 22 All they had was two boxes of 22 short some obscure rifle rounds and bird shot. Guy working counter said enthusiastically "We had some 9mm this morning". He said it took him 4 hours to stock the ammo shelves and most of it was gone by 10:00am.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

This too shall pass....I think.

After the 2008/09 run, I stocked up. I guess you could say I learned my lesson. I made a point of building up 1000-5000 rds of anything I shoot with regularity, plus maybe 8-10K of 22lr.

It'll be back. The current situation has a lot of folks with limited firearms experience (much less a grasp for reasonable market values) jumping into the market with both feet...and they're apparently willing to pay through the nose to do it. That's why $700 AR15s are bringing $2K.

There's a severe run on "high capacity products", and you better believe 9mm ammunition qualifies as exactly that.

12. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Yea, the only thing left on the shelf around here is .45acp, .45lc, .357sig, and .17wmr I got 500 rounds of Winchester 9MM NATO for $145 the other day. Not the greatest price, could have gotten the cheaper 500 for $130.

13. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

In south fl I stopped at 2 walmarts to n the selves r bare, 1 bx 380 n a few boxes of hollow point of 45. This is crazy. I have some stock but now i'm to scared to put in any range time.... Almost bought a dame BB gun today! lol

14. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Same here in Charlotte/Sarasota.Every time Wally World reups its all gone in a matter of minutes.

15. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Yes...my range time has been shortened too...I shoot only what I can reload and a lot less of that too. It's VERY noticeable at my range on how many fewer people are shooting...lots of brass hunters though. I have enough powder and primers for awhile but would really like to see things improve too. :(

16. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Me n a buddy are thinking on going half on a press to start reloading our own stuff. Think I can still find stuff to start up?

17. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

I think reloading is a good idea, even just to learn how (if you're new at it). You might have to shop around though for your needs on it. Lots of folks are winter loaders like me so that on top of the "surge" going on, you might have to hunt a little harder for primers, etc. I think it'll settle down eventually but, then again....this panic has got a whole different stink to it (worse than the Y2K time). My source is cleaned out here in my area...I'm hoping to see it improve but there's a lot of people keeping a watch for the shelves to replenish too who are ready to take every bit they can get their hands on. Makes it tough.

Best of luck on it Armed1212! I hope you can get a stash built up.;)

18. ballfan4141

ballfan4141 New Member

yes on the big internet sites like buds, cheaper than dirt, ect their prices increased a lot. infact buds has increased their prices on everything so much I can get more stuff and its cheaper for once at my local gunshop. plus they have no ar-15 in but everyday have them on auction for 2,000+ dollars. dont like them guys anymore.

19. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Its a bad job when its hard to get ammo in America. I have no problem getting it in the uk.

20. Sixwire

Sixwire New Member

I picked up some #5,6,7.5 lead for my 12ga reloader at Bass Pro today. Almost all the powder was gone. Everything else is hard to find