Ammo info

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Gubba, May 19, 2010.

1. Gubba

Gubba New Member

I'm looking for AK47 ammo and need help finding the best prices and if there any types to stay away from. Thanks.

2. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Also be aware that most steel cased ammo will run just great in the most of all aks and sks. I use them quite often as target ammo because they are usually cheaper. Also watch out for corrosive ammo, or if you decide to do it follow the proper cleaning manners to avoid damage of the gun. Have fun!

3. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Right. Your AK will never know the difference between steel cased and brass. In most cases steel is cheaper, however this ammo: 7.62x39 Yugo FMJ 124GR Brass case military ammo boxed. 1260rd Case is great stuff. Shoots better than Wolf, cost less and comes in a re-loadable brass case! ! ! It is corrosive, but I'll get into than next.

There are many methods of preventing corrosion after firing it through your guns. Most all of them have worked for me. As soon as possible after shooting corrosive ammo, treat the barrel and gas tube with an ammonia based cleaning product. We just used to use Windex, by soaking a cotton patch in it, then running it trough the bore for a minute or so. Then do the same thing with your gas tube/cylinder. When you get home clean the gun as normal.

Nowadays I use this stuff: MidwayUSA - Advanced Search It works great. Well worth the $10.

Now go shoot!

4. murraywc

murraywc New Member

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

This is really great ammo, BUT it is Berdan primed. Berdan is a PITA to reload.

6. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's what I hear. . . I've read several different methods of de-capping, but have yet to try any. In about a month I'm gonna be fully equipped to handle more reloading. I'll probably run through each of the methods and see what (if any) work.

If it's not worth the effort, oh well, at least I tried. :)

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

You are also going to have trouble finding Berdan primers. They are not the same as Boxer primers.

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Exactly. For 7.62x39, stock several thousands rounds of good stuff and don't worry about reloading it.

I know people who have reloaded steel Wolf cases (just to see if they could) and had good results.

10. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

I like Golden Tiger.

It gave me 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards last time I went to the range with my SAR-1.:)

11. Gubba

Gubba New Member

Thanks guys. I see some advertising good prices for Wolf and see others selling this as "recreational and practice" rounds. That's as opposed to what? I went pig hunting last fall with these recreational rounds and did okay. Can someone give me a lesson? Thanks.

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Most of the "recreational" or practice cartridges advertised by the bigger Russian manufactures, such as Wolf, Brown Bear and Golden Tiger are all with in the same category. They are all close enough to mil-surp specs that you should feel comfortable with an ample supply of any for SHTF purposes as well as practice.

I really wouldn't want to get shot with any of those so called "practice rounds". Most of which are also available in HP or SP (better for SD) at a price difference so negligible it's worth stocking up.

Don't be scared of any of the major brands, however I personally steer towards mil-surp from various countries of origin. They seem to perform well above the average lower-end commercial cartridge. Sure they're corrosive. . . BIG DEAL clean appropriately and your AK will never know the difference. ;)

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

"recreational and practice" also means it's not as accurate as some more expensive ammo out there but it's plenty good enough for almost everything. AKs aren't super accurate anyway, maybe 5MOA depending on the rifle, so cheap steel case makes a lot of sense.

14. Gubba

Gubba New Member

Okay, now I have an additional question. I see 7.62x39 advertised in bulk (20rnd boxes) and also in "tins" (slightly higher price). Is there a big advantage in buying them sealed up? I've seen guys have old WWII ammo in bulk around here where they kept them in their barns for decades, without being sealed very well in anything other than boxes.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

The tins protect the ammo from any outside elements (mainly water/rust) for much longer than other storage methods.

I usually keep a couple tins for each rifle caliber that get left alone and I just get a case or two of the cheapest stuff for practice. Some of the corrosive surplus ammo in 7.62 x 39 that I've came across has shot much better than many of the big name brands such as Wolf. Just clean accordingly and you'll have no problems. :)

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I bought some stuff already on stripper clips when i purchased my SKS & was told it had mildly corrosive primers. I didn't find this out or a few days after shooting about 40-60 rounds. I didn't notice any extra nastiness, even in the gas tube. I guess the problems come in when you wait more than a few days or shoot more than 60 rounds or so. The label on the boxes looked like the Yugo brass cased ammo for sale at this place: http://www.classicarms.us/ammunition.htm Their price doesn't seem incredibly low or anything, but if you are against the steel cases and don't mind cleaning you rifle, it might suit you well.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  17. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Exactly, if I know I'm not gonna shoot for several days or a week, or if it is really humid, I'll clean immediately after use. I don't ever put less than 150 or so rounds per session and haven't had a problem yet.

In fact, I love the way that surplus shoots! Its way worth the extra cleaning.

18. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Great link! Never known of that one. :)