Ammo in the dryer!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Rick1967, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The other day my wife called me at work to tell me that she had washed my jacket. She said that she heard a clanging around in the laundry. When she checked she found my ammo wallet with 6 357 mag hollow points in it. She found them before going into the dryer. Anyone know for sure if an electric dryer does or doesn't have enough heat to set them off?

I remember as a kid building a camp fire where we had seen empty shells on the ground. We didn't know any better. There were live ones under the dirt. It was a good 30 minutes berfore they started going off. They kept going for quite a while. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes before the stopped. The fire was still burning because we were too scared to put it out.

2. MotorG20

MotorG20 New Member

I think a dryer very well could have set them off, what with the heat, and static electricity:eek:. I can tell you one thing, if it did go off, you wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to face your wife when you got home:D

MotorG20

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You dryer gets hot, 160-180 degrees, but not hot enough to ignite it. Handguns left in vehicle goveboxes can reach a temperature of that of a dryer or above with rounds in them and they don't go off. Most people use static dryer sheets with their clothes these days to eliminate it, so that eliminates that theory.

After being washed, most likely the powder would have been exposed to moisture. Main concern would be, if the primer was struck or hit just right while tumbling, it could ignite the primer.

Jack

4. Rick1967

Hadn't thought about the primer strike idea. My wife wouldn't be pissed. She took my jacket without asking. Just being a good woman. She's like that. I did think about the powder being wet. I disasembled them and reprimed and charged them.

5. tom98915

tom98915 New Member

Not too likely those rounds would go off...but why be a test case and on the wife's bad side?

6. jcwit

jcwit New Member

Would say it would be nothing to worry about, but, there's that funny 3 letter word, and weirder things have happened.

7. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I have tumbled hundreds of rounds in the dryer (unintentionally) over the years and never had one go off in the dryer but that is not to say it could not happen. Being a firearms instructor and working the line I always end up with rounds in the pockets of my BDU’s. Sometimes I remember to take them out and sometimes I forget, sometimes Linda cleans out the pockets of my BDU’s and sometimes she doesn’t. In the end you hear this clacking in the dryer after a while and when you open the dryer you find a mess of 9mm or 40 tumbling around with the clothes. I put them in a box and shoot them later. Glasshartt can verify this.

8. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Oh, they shoot just fine, besides, a wound made with clean ammo is less apt to get infected. They have never gone off in the dryer. Oh, by the way, it was HIS responsibility to empty his pockets, not mine. :p

The ones that only went through the washer shot fine too.

9. Rick1967

The people in this group are great. Lots of good info with out a bunch of BS. Thanks for not calling me an idiot for not being careful enough with my ammo.

10. jcwit

jcwit New Member

Well Rick, we all started at the begining.

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Don't worry about it Rick, we all have been there and some of us more than once. :D

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When you have been reloading long enough, your lady will not even flinch when the vacuum sucks up a live primer. Well, not much, anyway.

(Hint to youngsters- keep a small stash of emergency chocolate and small jewelry hidden for times like these. All else fails, you can eat the chocolate while pawning the jewelry for a bus ticket out of town)

13. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

C3 you are a very smart man. :D

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Loose rim fire rounds can potentially go off in the dryer. Centerfire ammo would be VERY unlikely. As you said the ammo was in an "ammo wallet"? Presumably the entire wallet would tumble around and dot go off. No the heat will not get high enough to cook off ammo unless you have let Tim Taylor mess with the thermostat.

15. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

ROFL.. Love it.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Gh that is funny.

I have washed so many 22lr to 30-06 rounds it is not even funny. Hard to make things go boom really.

17. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

TANGO!! welcome back bubba ...:D

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive run live ammo throught the wash and drier cycles by accident many times. the dryer doesnt seem to generate enough heat to set them off. mileagae may vary. even if they did go off they would not have enough energy to exit the drier. dont do it on purpose but accidentally prolly a no harm no foul sort of thing.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

+1

has happened a few times with my wife she wont go in my loading room with avaccuum now makes me do it :/

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jon- a REAL man uses a leaf blower! :p