Ammo Hoarding Driving Me Crazy!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Hightide, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Stopped by my local walmart this morning. I went back to sporting goods resigned to see the empty shelves and get my 3 boxes of oobuck. Much to my surprise they had 7.62x39. So I left with 3 boxes of tula fmj @ 5.17 each and felt like I got away with something.

2. Colby

Colby Member

Stopped by a Wal-Mart yesterday. No 45, 9mm, 380, 40, 38, 357, 44 mag, 22LR.
    Surprisingly they had just gotten a little bit of 223 in and had a little bit of 30-06, 270, and 243...

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Everyone blames the government about the ammo shortage. Yet manufacturers were shutting down plants during the Bush era. It has been over 15 years since anything but ammo with proprietary components has been manufactured in the US. Did the ammo companies cut production capabilities because Bush told them too? The ammo companies are using the far right media like a tool. Management reads forums like this and thinks "Fish On!"

It's old news that the AWB is dead in the water. Yet we still have threads about how to dodge the ban, should I hide my AR-15? Not to mention all the panic buying of magazines that is still raging. According to Vox Populi the magazine bill has a 4% chance of getting out of committee, less than a 1% chance of becoming a law.

4. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Oh yes, CF, the government buying up 1.6 billion rounds from the private sector while shoving an AWB has nothing to do with shortages

Lmao

5. markie357

markie357 Member

I'm new to all this ammo stuff because I just bought my first gun on Feb 2nd and was actually pissed cause I couldn't find any ammo at all. Had the gun for a week and finally picked up 250 rounds of 380 Remington UMC 95 grain from a guy for $100 I didn't thing it was to bad?? But I also don't know what it was before this all started? On Thursday I picked up another 300 rounds for $135, 150 were FMJ and the rest were JHP and yet still not sure if I was screwed but I figure .40-.45 cents a round didn't seem bad cause I've seen people trying to sell it for .60 a round.
    I also really can't buy the fact that people just buy ammo that don't own a firearm just to buy it so we can't have it???
    And the golf ball thing, lmao I love to golf and now really love my gun ( 2very costly hobbies lol )
    But you can buy all the balls you want and it won't bother us. Unless you suck so bad you lose a ball a hole and most people can use the same ball for all 18 holes plus hit one in the woods and find it plus 5 more. I wish I could turn my thousands of golf balls to ammo lol that would be awesome. ⛳

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Hey, dude I am not Chainfire. I am not stupid enough to pay to be ridiculed.

We are supposed to have the capacity in the United States to manufacture enough ammo to wage a full scale war. Not the police actions we have had lately, a full declared war. It takes a hell of a lot more ammo than a billion rounds to wage a full scale declared war.

Homeland security goes through millions of rounds each and every year just training police on the streets. That is not counting ammo they have in reserve in case of a terrorist action. So a billion rounds might last DHS a couple years. Porkchop, you must own a gun store with all the fear mongering you do.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Go buy a YUGO SKS or an AR: http://www.bloomautomatic.com/ (not an endorsement, there are other brands)
    I'm pretty sure you can still find blank ammo to launch with.

8. px4storm

px4storm New Member

When do you think things will get back to normal, that you can walk into a store and by what you want?

9. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I'm hearing somewhere around this coming December before we see this get any better.

10. Lazy Dave

Lazy Dave New Member

What about components instead of Factory Loads, for pistol ammo a Dillon 650 with the bells and whistles will give you around 450 to 600 rounds an hour.
    It's what I use and 15 to 20 minutes to change calibers... .357, 45 Colt, .45acp, 9mm

Geez just took a look at Starline Brass online order page..... forget I mentioned reloading they have almost nothing in stock and aren't even taking backorders.....

You guys are really screwed if you can't even get brass.... Hey that means I'm gonna be screwed too now where did I put that online order website for my supplier in Australia

Happy Hunting you guys
    Cheers
    Lazy Dave

11. nfafan

nfafan Member

Yep.

Just not laughing.

Especially since EVERY state with a left-leaning population is now flexing their muscles from mag bans to total surrender.

12. paul

paul Member

ammo shortages

Guns, ammo, the prices will never recover. We shooters, on a retired military budget, I was enlisted 30yrs, can forget about affordable prices again. The only hope I've seen lately, is ODCMP putting restriction limits on their items, which by the way, have become gouged/scalped items as well. Lately, there has been people buying the 10 gun limit, which is too damn many, just to resale at the scalp prices. Same with the ammo they sell, fortunately, limit's are in place on it. I'm not saying people should have a limit on the amount of guns they own, but if you're not normally a gun dealer, then quit screwing your fellow shooters just to make a unethical dollar. Those kind of folks, people remember when things settle back down some, as the jerks that took advantage of their neighbors.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Glass half empty kinda guy huh?

14. BadBob

BadBob New Member

We are in a crisis situation, our government is turning against it's own people. We were all caught by surprise. I can't believe someone is actually whining because others are buying ammo. If you have a need to shoot frequently then save your damn brass, buy a reload system and load your own.

15. paul

paul Member

ammo shortage

Hossfly, you say I'm a half empty glass kinda of guy and you know "Nothing" about me. Why do you want to go at me personally by making statements you know are rude, snide and sarcastic. Are you just trolling to get into some kind of "fuss"? You're comment/reply doesn't even have anything to do with the "Topic". It was just a poke at me.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  16. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

i just think we have it backwards. we arent in any real wars just political actions that dont need our soldiers dying. without us actually fighting a true world war or a real war against another nation, govt sales should only be filled when civilian demand is met. we the people are more important than they the government in times of peace.

17. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I don't think anti's are buying up ammo. I'm sure it's us who's buying up the ammo. Was at a gun show the other day & a line was formed from the entrance to the rear where folks were asked what caliber they wanted & how many thousand. No chance to ask about brand or specifics on the ammo. Just how many you wanted of what caliber & they were charging you $1 ea for common rifle calibers. You were then handed your ammo.

The media has done a good job of making guns & ammo seem deplorable to the sheeple that watch mainstream outlets. I went to visit my 87 year old mom & my sister that lives with her extended her arm & handed me a box of 7.62x54R that she found left after my dad died a couple of years ago. She handed it to me like it was a rotten fish & asked me to get it out of there & that they didn't want any guns or ammo at the house.

This was not the feeling as I went thru my dads guns two years ago with them when he died & told them about hunting trips with each gun he & I had taken, re-loading together, range trips & I held the 9mm pistol my dad used to save his life from 5 guys that tried to rob him & they ended up shooting another guy & robbing him after my dad escaped the situation.

Right now lots of folks in the general populace have been made to feel very afraid of guns & ammo & that they should have nothing to do with them. I plan to continue what I've done for decades-keep taking new shooters to the range & organize group shoots with old shooting friends that invite other new shooters. I plan to do this as long as I can.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  18. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Alliant used to make all the military contract ammo just a few years ago. Now the gubment is using 18 suppliers and some are even foreign. Don't know what they need all that ammo for.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You make this statement
    & say it has nothing to do with the topic?
    You sure aren't what i'd call optimistic so yes- Your glass if half full--I try to keep mine at the half full mark (at least)-
    Suck on your lemon - I'll make me some lemonade ;)

20. paul

paul Member

Ammo shortage

Hossfly, it's cool, you can have the last word with me. Even though it has nothing to do with "Ammo shortages".:)
    From your last remark, which actually was kinda "witty", I believe you would be someone I'd enjoy visiting with. You have a great history of being "liked" here on the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.