Ammo Hoarding Driving Me Crazy!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Hightide, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

This makes sense to me. I personally know of two individuals who own mostly hunting long rifles and a couple .22LR revolver pistols who have been buying up every kind of handgun ammunition as well as .223, .308, etc. that they get their hands on thinking it to be "Trading Stock" for a future bad time. This is a weekly ritual for them.
    Now, I'm not badmouthing them for their thoughts on this but, I feel this truly is the reason (in multitude across the nation) behind the ammo shortages and high prices.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe you're correct. Having a store of ammo on hand for trading stock is not a bad idea, but it should be purchased in the "good times" not when there is a shortage.

I would like to get another dozen or so 30 round AR mags. I passed up a chance to get 10 of them for $175. I passed them up because I don't really "need" them (I currently have 25) and other folks do.

3. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Check these out...not MPul but not a bad price either;

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/dh-5-56-30rd-aluminum-mag.html

4. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

Seems like we are getting down to a haves/have nots situation. I don't feel sorry for people who don't maintain a stock of ammo.

What we need to do from here is quit buying ammo at inflated prices. Same goes for reloading components. The sellers who are charging huge prices for ammo will get stuck sitting on ammo. They will quit buying with the sole purpose of making a buck and we will begin to see ammo get back to a reasonable retail stock level.

I do see this going on for quite a bit longer. People aren't going to stop overnight. We've got new gun owners entering the pipeline everyday and they all need ammo for their new guns.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

You are almost, and mostly, correct -- as long as this DEMAND exists people will pay these prices, and it is self feeding -- the lack of stocked shelves makes people nervous and they buy alot more than they might otherwise. And, the last three months have been the highest number of NICS checks since it started, each month higher than the next, and these guns need to be fed.

Something is telling me alot of the whining is by free-enterprise, elementary economics, politics, and safe shooting sports noobs that don't know the difference anyway...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  6. longunner

longunner Active Member

I agree with everyone above me. That was a very interesting article to read and it is saying exactly what I believe to be true about this ammo "shortage". I have not been involved in shooting long enough to know what it was like back in 2009 but from what I have heard and read on this forum was similar to this.

7. gearhead396

gearhead396 Active Member

8. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

Wow just looked at other prices on there and found some Winchester Ranger Black Talon 50 round box for $240 somebody had their daily dose of crack today. Lmao

9. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

Makes ya wonder if the dude left off a couple zeros on some of the quantities dont it?

10. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

$239.95 for a box of 525?

Geeez..correct me if my math is off but, isn't that about $0.45 a pop? :eek::eek:

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Hey Kimber, maybe it's REALLY, REALLY, GOOD .22!

BTW, your friends buying ammo for trading stock TODAY must be real pessimists if they think now is the time to "buy low, sell high" unless they are only getting a box or two at a time at pre-run rates and waits...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Hey Louis, I think his friends are thinking ballistic barter when/if SHTF.

This here is just peein' into the wind!:D

13. BadBob

BadBob New Member

I'm good on stocked ammo for all my firearms, but I'd recently bought a Remington in .308 so I willingly paid more than I normally would have just to have a couple boxes to zero in with, and it was quality ammo. Actually, in the last 8 months I've done very well with suppliers when buying mags, etc., everything I've bought was priced normally and I received it in a timely manner. It just seems like the ammo is the problem right now. Truth is there are good suppliers out there that are honorable and aren't out to rob us blind, unfortunately for the time being most of them aren't ammo sellers.

14. px4storm

px4storm New Member

Your right, lets not but ammo for a month and see where prices go?

15. longunner

longunner Active Member

Waaaaaaaaay down

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Well-Known Member

If you don't buy it, someone else will. The shop down the street is selling 5.45x39 for $225.00 a can. One of my co-workers has been buying it and selling it, locally for $500.00 a can. Some people are just born stupid. It just can't be fixed. As long as the morons abound, prices will remain high.

17. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Cabelas in Iowa had a ton of 223 for sale last week. $19.99 for 20 rounds.

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Well-Known Member

That is close to what I paid for Hornady 55gr SP, but it was a 50 round box less then a year ago. $17.99

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Reminds me of the "let's stick it to the oil companies and all refuse to buy gas on April 1st -- that'll REALLY bring 'em to their knees!" nonsense.

Some of you guys still simply don't understand what's happening except that you find yourselves thirsty in the middle of a drought. So, you think, if everyone'd just refuse to drink water that'd force it to rain.

This is astounding...

20. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.