Firearms Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
321 - 340 of 406 Posts
Hightide said:
Gun show in my area today. Pretty much all ammo was well represented. The price was the problem. Not shocking, I'd say on the most common semi auto rounds the price was roughly twice what it was around here last summer. For example, 50 rounds 9mm was $23-$25 (last summer $12-$13). 22LR were in short supply.
The good news was that if you are a revolver shooter, a lot of the common rounds were the same price as pre shortage. I bought .357 mag for the same as I would have paid for the same brand last summer. Long Colts were about the same also.
Where is your area?

Academy opened two stores in the Charlotte area last Friday. I went there today and they had popular ammo sitting in the front of the store in the customer service area. They had all ammo but .22lr, they had some this morning but were sold out. The also said they are getting ammo in everyday and check when you can. They are limiting to one box per caliber and only three boxes a day per person....I picked up some .223.

Well maybe things are looking better. I was hunting around for 7.62x54r yesterday and stopped by walmart they don't carry 7.62x54r that I could see but I saw they had lots of boxes of .40S&W and .380Auto which are 2 calibers I could find ammo for but not at a big box store and not that much of it. No .45Auto, 9mm or .22LR though so nothing in the calibers I have.

I finally saw some regular 22 online for sale at Cabela's but with a 1 box limit I didn't bother ordering. A box of 100 Remington Golden Bullet came out to $13.49 including shipping. Too much, I still don't need it that much.

I pay 30 bucks for a 50 rd box is that insane?
caliber?

in the past month:

I paid $20 for a box of 50 .40 S&W that was remanufactured, not new ammo, at a local sporting goods store. too much in my opinion, and I won't go back.

I paid $30 for a box of 100 .40S&W at walmart

I paid $16 for a 50 round box of .40

I paid $16 for 50 round boxes of .223 brass case ammo made in Italy

I paid $5.25 for 20 round boxes of .223 steel case ammo made in Russia

They had 9mm and .45 too, but I don't shoot those as much, and wanted .40 and .223. my CCW is .40 and I want .223 for SHTF. I know some of the "preppers" in the area, and for some ungodly reason, they think pistol ammo is the thing to have when SHTF, and have been stocking up on thousands of rounds of pistol ammo. good for them. Leave the rifle ammo for me! pistol is a back-up gun, or a gun to get you to your rifle.

Finally found some 22lr ammo in stock. I am not buying it at that price though lol.

Here is the link
http://alamoammo.com/rifle-ammo/22-...plated-hp-525-rnds-m-id-22lr-upc-047700009100
Dear God. $240 for 500rds of bulk 22lr? I bought three of those very boxes last week for $18ea. I guess it's only a 1300% markup :rolleyes:. I thought maybe that was a "case" price, but looking at their other 22lr, it actually appears to be the norm.

Their prices are almost as nutty for 223 and 9mm. I guess maybe there is someone out there with less of a conscience than CTD. Kinda sad, really. Things will come around. And hopefully some of the knuckleheads will see their customer bases dry up.

I just popped over to Gunbroker.com to look at ammo listings.

There are stupid S.O.B.s bidding up ammo to more than twice a reasonable price over there!:eek:

No wonder, there isn't any ammo on the shelves, some people are makin' a mint on those auctions!:mad:

I just popped over to Gunbroker.com to look at ammo listings.

There are stupid S.O.B.s bidding up ammo to more than twice a reasonable price over there!:eek:

No wonder, there isn't any ammo on the shelves, some people are makin' a mint on those auctions!:mad:

You're right.

OTOH, if they can find a jackass stupid enough to pay those prices, why not???

Just got 100 rounds of 45 Acp for 55 bucks?? I just got some Winchester 230 grain fmj and Winchester ranger T series 230 grain hollow point. both 50 count boxes but had prices of 37 for fmj and 47 for rangers and guy tells me 55 bucks. I said you sure and he said yeah you been in quite a bit lately. I was like too bad you only had these 2 boxes i would have gotten more.

You're right.

OTOH, if they can find a jackass stupid enough to pay those prices, why not???
Why not? Maybe because it's better to do well with your customers than try to rob them whenever the opportunity presents itself. The smart businessman treats his customers right so they'll come back again.

People remember who wrongs them, and one day this guy may be hurting, or in need, and there'll be no one to help him because he took advantage of everyone.

Why not? Maybe because it's better to do well with your customers than try to rob them whenever the opportunity presents itself. The smart businessman treats his customers right so they'll come back again.

People remember who wrongs them, and one day this guy may be hurting, or in need, and there'll be no one to help him because he took advantage of everyone.
Thats exactly right, and those who are there for us now and help us out when we need it and dont try and rob us will be getting my buisness even when all the panic settles down and ,they might not be the cheapest but they were there when needed.

Thats exactly right, and those who are there for us now and help us out when we need it and dont try and rob us will be getting my buisness even when all the panic settles down and ,they might not be the cheapest but they were there when needed.
How I wish that were true. The vast majority of consumers will not do this and never have. The memory that they got screwed will evaporate once they see the product 1 cent cheaper. The majority will ALWAYS buy the cheaper product. It is as certain as the sun coming up in the morning. My only hope is that the few that will support the fair dealers will be enough to keep them in business.

I scored three boxes of 9mm (100 rd boxes) for $76 this morning. Store clerk said 22LR never made it to the shelf. I was there at 8 am.

321 - 340 of 406 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.