Firearms Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
301 - 320 of 406 Posts
Discussion starter · #301 ·
Echoing a positive thought I have been hearing several times, for the young folks on the thread (not me).

Twenty years from now, there will be a lot of widows giving away or selling cheap tons of ammo!!

Discussion starter · #302 ·
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/ammo-hoarding-driving-me-crazy-83113/index6.html

Why do we have two almost identical threads on this subject? Same title, same OP, same yickityyak?
That would be my bad...a mix of Budweiser and posting. Sorry about that, maybe the powers that be can delete one. Don't worry, I'm considering having a breathalyzer installed on the computer. It might save me some money on iTunes also. (I put this apology on the other thread also)

A few days ago I was in a Walmart that had empty shelves in the calibers I wanted. The manager responsible for ordering ammunition happened to be nearby so I asked him the obvious question he probably hears dozens of times a day "When are you getting more ammo?" Well he went into a fairly detailed description of Walmart's marketing strategy, ordering and expectations for the future. Bottom line, he said " Believe me, if Walmart upper management believed there would not be any ammo soon to fill this real estate of shelves, they would be filling it with something else to sell". Made sense to me.

Also, I was able to pick up two 50 round boxes of Lawman 45 acp at my favorite gs for $22.95 per box (store imposed limit). The check out clerk told me they had tons of every caliber two days earlier but it sold out the same day.

i put a order in for 30 30 ammo that is back ordered till this month and to everyone say it will be 6 months until we get ammo back instock not hardly it will be alot longer i also looked at cabelas for .22 ammo and 9mm it is backorderd until october/novemeber and their not taking orders anymore

There is no 9mm, .22 LR or .45 ACP in my area. Period. The big chain stores have nothing on the shelves but some unpopular rifle rounds a a lot of dust.

Over the past three years, since the first ammo shortage, I have always bought two boxes for each box I shot, so I built my personal stash slowly, but well.

After I complete this post, I am going to the range to shoot a 1911, a Beretta 92, and a couple of Mosins with wild abandon. :)

The time to prepare for bad times, is when times are good.

Discussion starter · #313 ·
Gun show in my area today. Pretty much all ammo was well represented. The price was the problem. Not shocking, I'd say on the most common semi auto rounds the price was roughly twice what it was around here last summer. For example, 50 rounds 9mm was $23-$25 (last summer $12-$13). 22LR were in short supply.
The good news was that if you are a revolver shooter, a lot of the common rounds were the same price as pre shortage. I bought .357 mag for the same as I would have paid for the same brand last summer. Long Colts were about the same also.

I read a post on another board that supposedly there are like 150 "pages" of ammo on G'Broker.

If true, I doubt there is an ammo shortage - more like whoreding and profiteering. If your lifestyle allows you to hit multiple wallyworlds all day long, you can try and make some coin too.

We traveled to a meeting of the Texas Rifle Association for Industry meetings concerning the shortages, here's what we were told.
Smith & Wesson is running at full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.

RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.

FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1. Remington-Maxed out!

Armalite: Maxed out.

DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.

COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's.

LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.

Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.

MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon.

RELOADERS... ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes... it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we'll keep you posted...

Related commentary from Bob Owens:

They didn’t know when they’d be getting anything back in stock, from magazines to rifles to pistols. Manufacturers were running full-bore, but couldn’t come close to keeping up with market demand. It wasn’t just the AR-15s, the AK-pattern rifles, the M1As, and the FALs that were sold out. It really hit me when I realized that the World War-era M1 Garands, M1 carbines, and Enfield .303s were gone, along with every last shell. Ubiquitous Mosin-Nagants—of which every gun store always seems to have 10-20—were gone. So was their ammo. Only a dust free space marked their passing. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100+ years was gone. This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war.

Barack Obama, Dianne Feinstein and the rest of the Statists have done more to promote gun ownership than the NRA ever did. Well done, Democrats!bhhh

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.
Well, fisih'n season is right around the corner. Guess I'll start cast'n instead of shoot'n.

301 - 320 of 406 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.