Ammo Hoarding Driving Me Crazy!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Hightide, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hightide

Hightide New Member

I am in the Cincinnati, Ohio area and all the gun shops in our area are about sold out of ammo. I went to an empty indoor range and it was empty because nobody had ammo! Most of our ranges are empty due to the weather outside, and the ammo shortage inside.

So, the bottom line is that people who don't shoot are hoarding the ammo!

This is a good analogy...I hate to golf...but it is like me running into every golf shop in town and buying up all the balls so that nobody can golf!!!! So, bottom line, the people who don't shoot need to quit hoarding. If they just want to look at it, or feel it,, or whatever, there are snap caps and dummy rounds for that purpose!

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I agree.

I had a significant of Ammo before the buble hit.

I sold 3 cases since then to shooters to spread the wealth around and help create better SHTF resilience in our community.
    Did I mark them up?
    yes, but I didnt charge a buck a round either.

3. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

Not the same here. Shelves at LGS's are stocked ok (not full). Just came from the range (date night promo here). Probably 100 shooters.
    Two boxes of ammo, targets, one lane (one hour) and 2 meals for 40.00 every Friday, Saturday night. Not to bad. I'll keep supporting them every other week.

4. ResidentialPyro

ResidentialPyro New Member

That sounds awesome. What is the name of the range?

5. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

Range USA. In Memphis. Perhaps other Range USA 's do it.

6. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Around here the range has all caliber ammo, but they online sell for in range use, not for personal stock. I have about 3000 rounds of .223 on hand, but I still go and buy for range use. They charge $13.99 a box for Remington and Winchester brands they stock. However, contrary to your ranges, mine is slap full almost every time I go in there. Weekends are seeing 1-2 hours wait for a lane. What little bit of ammo the big box stores get has been put on quantity restriction, 1 box per person per day on .223 5.56 9mm 22lr and .45 Everything else is 3 box max, but if you get a box of any of the 1 box restrictions it count as 1 of the 3 allowed as well. Not to mention that people line up on Sat morning 1-2 hours before opening to snatch up whatever came in on Friday.

7. Hightide

Hightide New Member

Renegade, I may have to do a Memphis weekend! Sounds like you have a great range, ammo, Beale St. and Barbecue! Sounds like my idea of heaven!

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

The people that don't plink, target practice, break glass, torment cans, perforate cardboard, or menace paper, should be buying out the ammo.

Why?

Because the users of ammo, are using it up. In a drought, do you water your lawn till the well runs dry?

Ammo, is what makes firearms go bang. If there is no ammo, there is no one to forcefully protect the things that need protecting.

Until the problem clears up, or the next civil war, get a rubber band gun to practice with.

9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

In a civil war those of us who have plenty of it must and (I think will) share with others.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Oh crap- another forgot to put ammo on their shoppin list last month :eek:

11. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I was in the midst of my AR build, and finished it two weeks before all this happened. Was on a very very tight budget. I had purchased some ammo here and there during the build. Had planned on buying ammo when I got paid. Then this happened. Luckily, River Bend Arms came through in glorious style, and we made some transactions. I am in no way comfortable with the amount on hand, but I feel a lot better about it.

I was a step behind the game, that is my own fault, I don't blame anyone for buying everything they can. I told my wife to look for ammo when she goes to various stores, and if a caliber is in stock, to buy every damn box she can lol.

Good luck in you search. I was seeing $14 boxes of wolf ammo at all my lgs a month ago.

12. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Just got back from checking two local stores. Shelves empty except for obscure rounds and bird shot. Same as usual.

13. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Just checked my local WM, empty
    Glad i have my stash, that I bought relatively cheaply pre- bubble.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I share your feelings on this. The same thing is happening here. It makes things difficult for the people who actually want to shoot their firearms and get in some target practice. It is not only happening with ammo but guns also. Many people are buying guns and ammo who will just take it home and put it somewhere where it will collect dust. They won't even learn how to use the gun they bought. Their guns won't be of much use to them if they ever need it because they won't know what to do with them.

15. px4storm

px4storm New Member

So all of the gun owners buy all the golf balls you can during the winter so golfers can't golf when it gets nicer and then maybe the golfers and the gun owners can trade

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I have found that police supply shop near me has inventory and their prices are marginally affected by the recent run. They sell to civilians so I would say give it a try in all y'all's areas.

17. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

When I find a case around here, like 9mm, I buy it and sell half the case on local forums where members can't find anything. I get a lot of hate mail from some folks saying that people like me cause the problem, but hey whatever if you don't like what I have then don't shoot, right? And it's not like I am gouging anyone. I buy 9mm at about $16 a box of 50 when I can get it. I sell the boxes for $20. And many, many people have thanked me for an hour after meeting up and selling it to them. I try to distribute it to shooters, not hoarders. The more people with loaded weapons on hand, the less likely they'll ever attempt to take them away

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If your only markin it up 4 bucks you ain't making anything---

19. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Right. I'm not trying to make anything, just get ammo in the hands of those wanting to use it. I still get hate mail everyday :rolleyes:

20. Kai

Kai New Member

I can't fault anyone for buying what they can while they can.
    If I see ammo I use on a store shelf and I have some money I will buy what I can afford.

I'm not a fan of a LGS owner buying up an entire store's stock to resell it in his shop at widely inflated prices though. I'm not sure but in NY reselling like that is illegal. Though like criminals only honest people pay attention to and not break laws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.