ammo gouging

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by paul, Mar 27, 2013.

1. paul

paul New Member

I don't believe there is an ammo shortage problem, what we're seeing is a 'greed" problem. People need to stop buying over priced ammo, period. If someone is selling .22LR Federal 525 rd bricks that normally go for $20.00 for $90.00, don't buy it. Same with any other way over priced ammo that's sold by individuals or the larger gougers like Cheaper than Dirt, don't buy it. We all stick together for a few months, the shelves will start having ammo again at the fair market value. It's wrong and unethical to be cheating other people. I've seen the same type gouging after Tornadoes, a local gas station and grocery store started gouging within minutes of the storm damage. The both almost went out of business a few days later because people stuck together.

2. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Such a simple concept, but the fear-panicked public wont be happy until they have a stockpile of ammo no matter what the cost. My educated guess is mainly new gun owners who CANNOT find ammo. They are willing to pay double, triple in some cases. It keeps fueling the greed....people need to wake up.....ease up and be patient until the smoke clears

3. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have to agree, stop buying if you don't need ammo. I know for a fact the average new gun owner is not aware that he is paying outrageous prices for ammo. One shop that I visit puts aside ammo to sell only with a gun purchase, but sells it at a premium price. A 20 rd box of Federal .380 JHP $36. I have a feeling that it will only get worse over the next year or so.

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

It's proportionately better that $70+ for a brick of 22 ammo.
    Considering that the alternative is having no ammo at all for your shiny new SD pistol, $36 seems damned near reasonable. Hell, it's pretty much a buck per shot without a panic, in a lot of shops. $1.50ish per round with a significant shortage going on seems, well, restrained. If one can buy it cheaper elsewhere...

5. nosaj

nosaj New Member

As long as the cost of boolits for my Mosin remain the same....i won't panic...yet.

6. 207driver

207driver New Member

New gun owners? Well maybe, but as I see it, it's hoarders causing the biggest problem. Why stockpile 20 or 50 thousand primers when you rarely shoot one brick per year? Those that do have a need for that quantity, now have to double their stockpile to insure they will not be shut out. Shameful.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Whrn it all goes to hell and the dollar is worth less than a 1934 deutschmark will you be able to get a pound of rice with some american greenbacks or a box of primers??

ill keep my stockpile thanks

8. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

I've decided to shoot what I've got and not buy anything for 6 months or so. If I'm at walmart and they have some 22lr. I'll buy it but I won't make a special trip for it.

9. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I haven't bought any ammo in over a year. And it feels good too...:)

10. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

I can find everything except .22. And that's what I like to shoot most. Because its cheap. Right now my sks is the cheapest thing to shoot.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Wait. What? Is this for real?
    I don't know when I will see primers in regular quantities again. Do you?
    You're implying that people who shoot more than me need the components more than I do? Seriously? Good luck selling that idea to the general populous.

12. Johnsglock17

Johnsglock17 New Member

I almost given up trying to do any kind of shooting due to the "lack of or cost " of ammo. A box of 9mm PMC FMJ for 23.99 is crazy. I have but put my AR up due to 5.56 priced at 25 bucks a box for 20 rds. If this keeps up I might just sell off my guns and say the heck with it.

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

So, those who had the common sense to stock up on ammo and components when they were plentiful, and inexpensive get to be the butt of name calling by those who were too stupid to do so.

Yeah, right!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Try blackpowder pistols, very satisfying.

15. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I understand your frustrations guys, i do, but you have to understand it's a free market. If a bunch of guys want to stockpile 50,000 units of whatever, they are free to do so. You can't get mad at those guys for doing that. I know it sucks but eventually it will die down and some of these guys/gals will be unloading some of their stash for pennies on the dollar to try and pay off the credit card bills they racked up while buying everything in sight. Just gotta be patient and wait it out.

Hell, i'll admit, i got caught with my "pants down" when this panic started too but i was still able to snag up a little slice of the mags/ammo pie for myself at reasonable prices, not gouge prices. You just have to broaden your horizons (check out gun stores/ gun websites you haven't been to before) and don't just check once, check OFTEN. BTW "email me when in stock" combined with a smart phone can save your butt. Only person who can decide how much is enough, is YOU, and obviously for a lot of guys/gals right now, it's never enough... One last thing, got a buddy looking for something and you happen to see it on the shelf? Help him out and next thing you know, he may be helping you find something you're looking for.. It worked for me, helped a buddy get some mags for his pistol and in return he helped me snag some AR mags. Just some suggestions for you guys/gals, good luck on your search.

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

You like the price.. you buy it. You dont like.. then move on. It's free market. And we the gun owners should have known this was coming to us. Those who been stocking ammo before the crisis.. good job!. And those who didn't and complained about the prices.. are losers!
    Sorry and i don't have any intentions to offense anyone. This is just how i feel.

17. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Personally, the only reason i have been actively searching for reasonably priced ammo is due to picking up a new caliber rifle.
    My birthday is on Dec 13 and i received a "new gun coupon" not knowing all hell would break loose the next day. I almost totally gave up on the idea because i knew what was happening.....and happening quick. However, i was patient and able to find the firearm and about 700 rds of ammo at pre-panic prices.
    And i always look for .22lr because i try to talk the kids into shooting those instead of 7.62 or .223 .... But they dont always go for it...haha

People need to realize the ammo is still being mass produced, not going to be discontinued, and there is no need to feed the gouging frenzy going on.

Patience not panic.

18. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I am happy tosay that the ammo shortage will have no effect on my range visits, and will continue to shoot about 1K rounds per month. I have not purchased any ammo since July 2012 and don't plan on buying any in the next couple of years. I am one of those nasty stockpilers who is presently shooting .40 cal ammo that cost me less than $0.13 per round.

19. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Oh, it's better than that. Half the good patriots here are angry that they didn't prepare and have nothing, half are angry that they are too lazy and cheap to buy what can at least be had at some price and blame others who they think owe them, and the third half are sitting pretty and ready to defend themselves from the rest of you vultures. LOL

20. paul

paul New Member

Hoarding, saving up or already saved up ammo, not a darn thing wrong with any of that. Selling a box of Federal .22Lr's 525 pack that cost $19.00 a couple of months ago for $150.00 is. I don't care how it's justified, it's wrong to gouge people. Period. Call if free enterprise call it "Being prepared", call it whatever a person wants to, but it's wrong. If this gouging doesn't stop with ammo, what's going to be the next useful, needful item that's gonna be taken advantaged of? How about, let's buy up all the baseballs or every golf ball, yeah, that's it, then sell them at limited quanitites and at 700-900% markup. Let's not forget about gasoline and groceries. Those items could easily all be turned into "gouged" items.